andystone

EML light on - potential causes?

morning all, looking through the manual of my 318i se i see that there is a light on the dashboard, the EML (engine management light) light. if this were to come on what would the potential problem be? would the light stay on at all times or just flash when you start the engine?

andy.

eml could mean anything to be honest mate, it detects a fluctuation in exhaust gasses passed through the cat.

best get it on the diagnostic machine to tell you exactly what is wrong with it,

The light would stay on all the time if there was a fault mate. All the lights come up when you first turn on the iginition so you know they are all working but should all go out after a while. Mine came up on my E39 and it was a faulty MAF. Depending on the problem it can also put the car into limp mode to protect the engine which will give you very limited power.

The light would stay on all the time if there was a fault mate. All the lights come up when you first turn on the iginition so you know they are all working but should all go out after a while. Mine came up on my E39 and it was a faulty MAF. Depending on the problem it can also put the car into limp mode to protect the engine which will give you very limited power.

well my eml goes off and the car drives very well. so i guess there isn't a problem. i just wondered really. never had an eml on my previous cars.

well my eml goes off and the car drives very well. so i guess there isn't a problem. i just wondered really. never had an eml on my previous cars.

You would definately know about it if it goes into limp mode. Everything feels flat and the engine won't go over a certain amount of revs.

You would definately know about it if it goes into limp mode. Everything feels flat and the engine won't go over a certain amount of revs.

Hello Guys, I am new to the forum, I have a 1999 328 auto coupe, the problem I am having is that when first started, it runs like a dream, but....... not long after it gets up to temp the EML light comes on and the car goes into Limp mode! Very frustrating as it will not allow me to go over 2500 - 3k revs. I have been reading up on this all day and various problems that may lead to this however, I havent heard of anyones doing this?

If it is a coil pack or MAF sensor then surely it would do this from start up? Am I right in thinking that it could be low gear oil hence why it only happens when warm??

It is booked in for a diagnostis tomorrow so I will report what it comes back with.

Any heads up would be appreciated.

Dan