Carlos

Cigarette Lighter

Ive just gone and splashed out on one of those roadhawk camera systems(Mainly as the car will be spending a couple of days in a garage next month and i dont trust mechanics not to take the car out for a thrashing!) anyhow as this plugs into the ciggy lighter i was wondering if it was perminently live or is it on a delay timer when you turn the ignition off? Was just going to leave it all connected up perminently but dont want it to kill my battery. If it is a perminent live has anyone installed a cut off switch on one?

Ive just gone and splashed out on one of those roadhawk camera systems(Mainly as the car will be spending a couple of days in a garage next month and i dont trust mechanics not to take the car out for a thrashing!) anyhow as this plugs into the ciggy lighter i was wondering if it was perminently live or is it on a delay timer when you turn the ignition off? Was just going to leave it all connected up perminently but dont want it to kill my battery. If it is a perminent live has anyone installed a cut off switch on one?

I think for peace of mind you need to get an extention with a cut off switch built into it.. last thing you want is a dead battery..

something like this would be ideal and you could tuck it away making it still look neat and tidy in there :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001QXL...p;creative=6738

;)

As above just splice into the stereo wire, that should see you good.

Also if your plugging into a ciggy lighter then whats to stop them simply unplugging it and taking the car out anyway!

I thought the same when I read about the ciggy lighter. But yeah I'm thinking the wiring into the stereo wires would suffice....the relay wire isn't it? IIRC..... :s lol

I think he lighter socket is ignition live anyway so just wire it into the rear ofthe lighter either with piggy back spade conne tors or scotch locks then it's removanble come sale time

also when you say relay wire do you mean the remote turn on if so that's not a good idea either because if the turn the radio off the roadhawk think will go off too and remote

turn on wires are normaly only any good for half an amp so might pop something in the head unit

I think he lighter socket is ignition live anyway so just wire it into the rear ofthe lighter either with piggy back spade conne tors or scotch locks then it's removanble come sale time

also when you say relay wire do you mean the remote turn on if so that's not a good idea either because if the turn the radio off the roadhawk think will go off too and remote

turn on wires are normaly only any good for half an amp so might pop something in the head unit

True actually didn't think of that. I think I actually meant the remote wire, lol

Mentioned as in one of my old subarus the wiring for my fuel pump (my diagnosis at the time) went all crap so I re-wired it joining it to the remote wire through my stereo wiring, this let the fuel pump stay on at all times when the car was on, stereo on or off and it worked for ages. Eventually th initial problem was that I just needed a new fuel pump (doh!) but the wiring trick did work

thats the ignition live you are talking about thats the one you want to use but i dont know if bmw radios have that as i thought that was controlled by the ibus system

i think the cigaret lighter is ignition live so i would connect to the back of that but wait for a bmw guru to confirm its ignition live because im a bmw newbie lol

thats the ignition live you are talking about thats the one you want to use but i dont know if bmw radios have that as i thought that was controlled by the ibus system

i think the cigaret lighter is ignition live so i would connect to the back of that but wait for a bmw guru to confirm its ignition live because im a bmw newbie lol

+1, I wouldn't like to be sure about the bmw lol. Subaru wiring completely a new bucket of fish! lol

It's great to hear that you've invested in a RoadHawk camera system, especially for ensuring the safety of your vehicle while it's in the hands of mechanics. Regarding your question about the power source, typically, devices plugged into the cigarette lighter are connected to a circuit that's only active when the ignition is on. https://heetsiqosuae.ae/iqos-iluma/prime/ This means there's no risk of draining your battery when the car is turned off. However, to confirm whether your particular RoadHawk camera system has a built-in delay timer or if it draws power continuously, it's best to consult the user manual or reach out to the manufacturer directly. If it does draw continuous power and you're concerned about battery drain, installing a cutoff switch could be a viable solution. Many users have opted for this option to have more control over power consumption and ensure their vehicle's battery longevity.