jamster

Air Box Restriction?

Evening all

Can anyone please shed some light on my standard 2001 e46 330d (184bhp) airbox? i have been told by a few friends that my airbox is resricted is some way? if so how do i remove this restriction? any help would be much appreciated.

jamster

The only thing you can do is replace the filter with a K&N one. I have never seen an aftermarket induction kit for an e46 diesel and if there was one i doubt whether the work envolved to fit it would be worth the gains (if any) it would give.

As Si said the best thing you can do to improve power is get a remap :wub:

The air box is restrictive as the air has to go through many bends before it goes near the engine. But, the turbo helps pull air through and with a K&N panel filter and EGR bypass if possible, you'll have a pretty smooth engine / power delivery.

(I'm not sure an induction kit is available for the diesels due to where the airbox is and the fitting type)

drill the box so it looks like swiss cheese and fit a panel filter. will sound awesome.

also, remove all the silencer exhaust boxes from the system - turbo sucks all the noise out of the car unlike an NA car - and big bore diesel pipes sound mad as a box of frogs. (yes i have done this mod on a land rover and a td golf in the past)!! awesome results.

Your friends probably don't know what they are talking about.

I guess they might be referring to the swirl flap issue but that's not the airbox!

he he he.

he said flaps!!

sorry.....i cant help it. i work in engineering and still chuckle when they say flange!!

taxi!!

lol you legend.

all air boxes have restrictions in one way or another, it just depends if it is worth "smoothing" or "de-restricting" etc. is worth it, most of the time it will just change the noise and add no performance. my advice would be to leave it as it is

A bigger intercooler will cause a bigger restriction as far as I know but cools the air better

Depends on how good the design is. In theory, the bigger the IC, the bigger the channels to allow air through it, so less restriction. If it's knocked up in China by people who have never seen a car, it might not be so great. If you do long sustained runs or track days in your turbo diesel, then I'd recommend you upgrade it, especially if the turbo pressure has been increased.

As for the intake, the guy above is right in that it's not *so* important with turbo cars where the pipes go as long as they don't collapse on the intake-side when the turbo is on full chat and don't leak on the engine-side.

I need a turbo/supercharger in my life again..

Rich

he he he.

he said flaps!!

sorry.....i cant help it. i work in engineering and still chuckle when they say flange!!

I'm the same, everytime I mention flanges at work I can't help but smile. Nobody else bats an eye lid though so I thought I was the only one immature enough, good to see I'm not!

Sorry to drag up an old thread but just wondered if anyone had done this and what the results were? I've drilled my air box on remapped 1.8T VAG engines before and been happy with the results.

I understand that heat soak could be an issue but I think with a cold air feed this could be avoided (feel free to tell me differently)

My question is, can this be done on a 330d? And if so, which part would you drill? Obviously our cars don't have an air box as such so I guess you could drill the underneath of the plastic side panel that goes over the filter.

I love the sound of the engine already but I think now it's mapped and got a decat on it a bit of induction noise would finish it off off nicely...although I appreciate I could be completely wrong; this just got me thinking

Cheers

Edited by trickett_james

drill the box so it looks like swiss cheese and fit a panel filter. will sound awesome.

also, remove all the silencer exhaust boxes from the system - turbo sucks all the noise out of the car unlike an NA car.

WHAT!?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Would I see any benefits from a k&n then? Thought I'd read on here that I'm best with a standard filter and I've just put a new one in

On a standard car, no.

On a remapped car, yes.

I had one in my last 330d and will be fitting one in this 330d when I start tuning it.