Raf555

Best Budget Brand Tyres

nankangs are pretty good for the price, had a few cars with them on and had no problems, just bought 4 of them off camskill.com a few days back actually 235s for front and 265s for rear 19" and only just over £300 for them. they have also had quite good reviews.

I Have always had bridgestone potenza's by far the best for grip for me. I recently bought falken 452's for the rear but totaly

hate them they dont grip as good as the potenza's so i may get rid of them soon and pay a bit more and get the best.

I Have always had bridgestone potenza's by far the best for grip for me. I recently bought falken 452's for the rear but totaly

hate them they dont grip as good as the potenza's so i may get rid of them soon and pay a bit more and get the best.

Did you scrub the Falkens in properly as it usually takes about 500 miles before they really pick up.

quick update...

I managed to buy a pair of part worn (5-6mm) Yokohama S-Drive 235/35 R19 91Y tyres?

are they any good? any experience?

still need a pair of 265/30/19!!

Falkens are Actually classed as a Budget Tyre , so they would be the best id say

Dont know much about S drive , they should be good though . I have Yokohama's Advan Sport , bit pricey but damn good tyre in all conditions .

Are 265's dearer ? Just stick with 255's . No need to go wider , unless you have 10" wide rears .

Falkens are Actually classed as a Budget Tyre , so they would be the best id say

Dont know much about S drive , they should be good though . I have Yokohama's Advan Sport , bit pricey but damn good tyre in all conditions .

Are 265's dearer ? Just stick with 255's . No need to go wider , unless you have 10" wide rears .

just checked on ebay they sell for arouns £170 each brand new... son not cheap!!

i need 265 as got 10" wide rears and yes they are dearer as they bigger.

Got a lot of time for Nankang NS2s. Got them on all 4 corners of my 330ci and am generally pretty pleased with them. I found the cheapest place for Nankangs at the moment is www.tyretraders.com - use the promo code "mxclub" to get a few extra quid off too. They were cheaper even than clickontyres, blackcircles and mytyres.

Do a search for Nankang on here - there have been several threads discussing budget tyres and lots of people like to look down their noses at people putting anything less than top-top-end tyres on their E46. Personally, I think for most people the idea of putting £200 tyres on each corner for these cars if all you use them for is commuting is like driving a Ferrari for the daily commute. You're paying a huge amount for extreme performance potential that, realistically, you'll never get to use. I've slammed on in the wet with 4 Nankang NS2s on and had no issues and had them freshly fitted last year just before the snow arrived and they performed amazingly in the white stuff too.

Just read this thread then realised its f**king 3 years old! Grrrrrrr

I didn't notice that! :rolleyes:

Do a search for Nankang on here - there have been several threads discussing budget tyres and lots of people like to look down their noses at people putting anything less than top-top-end tyres on their E46. Personally, I think for most people the idea of putting £200 tyres on each corner for these cars if all you use them for is commuting is like driving a Ferrari for the daily commute..........

Budget tyres are OK for people who just potter around town. That's why they're OK on my wife's car!

Anyone who drives their car on the open road will notice a world of difference between budgets and premiums. Personally, it hurts having to spend £120 a corner on Contis but for the distances I drive my E46 any of the tyres that come in at less than £100 a corner aren't an option. I need tyres that communicate with me, and the road. As has been said the tyres are the only thing between you and the road - you need to be able to trust them 100%. In nearly 40 years on the road I must have driven on just about every tyre going. Without exception, budget tyres have never inspired confidence when actually driving as opposed to just sitting-in and steering.

Budget tyres are OK for people who just potter around town. That's why they're OK on my wife's car!

Anyone who drives their car on the open road will notice a world of difference between budgets and premiums. Personally, it hurts having to spend £120 a corner on Contis but for the distances I drive my E46 any of the tyres that come in at less than £100 a corner aren't an option. I need tyres that communicate with me, and the road. As has been said the tyres are the only thing between you and the road - you need to be able to trust them 100%. In nearly 40 years on the road I must have driven on just about every tyre going. Without exception, budget tyres have never inspired confidence when actually driving as opposed to just sitting-in and steering.

Lmao I've been driving 20 years and in my time have owned and driven a lot of cars, including a VX220, a 300bhp Sunny GTI-R, a 500bhp Nissan Skyline GT-R and a TVR Cerbera. I was a good few years younger than I am now and a little more aggressive in my driving (to say the least). I've had top range tyres (Pirellis, Bridgestone Contis, etc.) and budget tyres (within reason - Nankangs, Falkens and Khumos). Make no mistake - I have driven all those cars HARD as well as pootled around in them. It makes me laugh when people imply that you're not "properly driving" if you just sit in the car and steer. If you want to take that argument buy yourself a Lotus, a VX220 or a Caterham - where tyre choice IS massively important to handling. The E46 is a nice car, good balance but Christ mate it isn't a thoroughbred sports car. In my opinion if you drive an E46 so hard that having £150 rubber on each corner makes the difference between life and death then you're an irresponsible driver and need to get off the public roads and onto a track instead. I look back at how I used to drive on public roads and cringe. A few years ago I bought a motorbike and with that you learn an appreciation and understanding for tyre choice and grip (especially in the wet!) and realise that someone bleating on about needing top-end high performance tyres on their 10 year-old daily driver road car weighing in at well over a tonne with 200ish bhp is applying an opinion of their driving skills and their car's ability that is excessive. You're talking about tyres that are designed for nigh-on supercars with 5-600bhp on trackdays being necessary for a 200ish bhp 10 year old BMW on the road. Sorry but if you're relying on that sort of backup from your tyres as the only thing to stop you crashing on a public road then realistically you're driving dangerously beyond your cars and your own abilities and need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Like Blair says - no issue with the Nankangs even on a trackday, and I suspect his E46 is a bit faster and a bit heavier than yours. I run Nankangs and would happily recommend them to anyone. There are lots of people on here who run them, Falkens and Vredsteins and lo and behold I don't think we're all posting our recommendations from a roadside ditch, A&E or from beyond the grave...

The problem is there are so many cheap tyres that do completely spoil the handling of the e46. It's really sensitive to them...

My Mercedes Cosworth on the other hand, handles brilliantly with the super old crappy cheapo tyres it has, and I even get to see the automatic locking differential light come on from time to time :thumbup:

I'd agree with Jim and Blair, i'm going to give NS2's a go on my e36 328i daily hack next tyre change based on Blairs comments over the years. Personally i think people get too hung up on the importance of outright grip, while premium tyres do offer more outright grip this is only really noticeable in the wet or if you're being a hero in the dry. What's more important is how progressive the tyres feel as they approach, and step over their limits. This is where budgets usually get let down in the wet, the transition from grip to slip is a knife edge whereas premium tyres tend to transition more slowly.

I think this is why kumho's and the old falken 452's have a good name with bmw and seat leon drivers, they are very nice and progressive in their feel, but ultimately they don't grip like conti's, yet no one really complains, it gets a mention but thats about it.

I'm looking forward to running the NS2 just to find out for myself.

I have some really cheap nasty Wanli fitted on just the rears of my 330i atm, they were only ever intended as a very temp fitment, however, unless you think you are Ayrton Senna and trying to break a lap record every place you go they have proved perfectly OK tbh, and even the expected monumental oversteer inbalance I was hoping for never materialised lol

For general commuting no frills I have to say surprisingly they have been fine in all respects, still got Federal SS595's up front btw.

Edited by Phantom Mark

what do you think about the federals Mark? My brother has them on the rears of his 330 (came on the car when he bought it) and is constantly complaining about how the traction control is constantly intervening as they lose traction at the drop of a hat. That said it is his fun car so only gets used at weekends and he's no one the hang about in it.

Me personally i like some of the Hancook Tyres. At the moment ove got Falkins on. Theyre really nice but i understand the penny worrys. But its the most important part of the car. If bin it on a wet road then youll have no car for the sake of 400 quid. If needs be put some budgets on the worst tyres before Winter hits. In the mean time save big style for some decent ones. Its one of the many cost of driving pleasure. Check the internet for tyres and avoid Kwikfit like a axe welding murder.