mike231

Reverse Light

Noticed i have a reverse lights out on the drivers side, so done the normal thing, got a bulb fitted it! Still not working!? Any ideas?

iv'e got exactly the same problem so any info on this fault would be most appreciated please :huh:

Probably a corroded bulb holder. It's quite common...

Probably a corroded bulb holder. It's quite common...

Definitely not a bulb holder problem as swapped over with passenger side that works and still no joy, checked connections to holder with a test lamp and no power getting to It, strange really as there's power going to the passenger side one?

Have read somewhere that a possible cause could be the reversing light switch as one side of it could burn out but not sure where I read this, If anybody can confirm this I would very much appreciate it as looking down the lines to replace it but don't want to if its not the cause as I'm sure its not going to be cheap and I don't want to go throwing money away :(

Thanks All :)

Definitely not a bulb holder problem as swapped over with passenger side that works and still no joy, checked connections to holder with a test lamp and no power getting to It, strange really as there's power going to the passenger side one?

Have read somewhere that a possible cause could be the reversing light switch as one side of it could burn out but not sure where I read this, If anybody can confirm this I would very much appreciate it as looking down the lines to replace it but don't want to if its not the cause as I'm sure its not going to be cheap and I don't want to go throwing money away ;)

Thanks All :D

Any other Takers on what the possible fault could be?

if it was me id pop the boot trim off and search the wiring route.

the switch send power to the bulbs but im sure it doesnt have 2 sets wires coming from the switch.

i reckon a loose or broken wire in the boot.

Hi guys

Probably a broken wire or possible burnt lamp unit just check to see if the lamp unit itself is burnt.

Wires not too bad to replace if you need a hand just call

MVT 01202 630 008

full dealer trained staff and all BMW diag equipment.

Cheers

Paul

Don't want to sound like an arse, but it's not your rear fog light that you're confusing with the reverse lights is it?

:lol:

Nope definitely not the rear fog light, I did take the boot trim off and had a look but could not see anything out of place, I'm going to check the reversing switch for any signs of damage over the weekend, if I do find the cause I will of course post it for future reference as this seems a common fault with 318's around the year 2000, lol maybe it's the millennium bug finally getting its revenge :lol:

Both my reversing lights and parking sensors have stopped working simultaneously so I'm suspecting fuse or the switch on the gearbox.

Is the switch easy to replace? Is it just a case of removing the gaitor and it's accessible?

Thanks for any help.

Can the reversing light switch of a 2005, auto box E46 318ci (convertible) be accessed from underneath when the car is up on a lift?. My problem is that my reversing sensors work intermittently and I suspect a faulty switch because engaging and disengaging reverse often fixes the problem, if temporarily. The attraction is that trying a new switch is a lot cheaper than a new sensor! Does removal of the switch from the gearbox cause loss of transmission fluid?

Any comments welcome!

Cymro, Isle of Wight.

Thanks, Momo. My understanding is that if any one sensor fails, then the whole system is out of action. As often as not my system works as it has done for my years of ownership. When working I've tried the vibration test and they do not all vibrate convincingly. I wondered about the switch because I can sometimes "persuade" the system to work by going in and out of reverse. Likewise, when working, they continue to work for as long as I remain in reverse with the motor running.I shall have to try that with the motor switched off to check what happens when I switch on again.

I do realise that none of these points is conclusive with regard to a diagnosis and that any intermittent fault is always a greater problem to sort out. Do you know whether this is a fault which could be explored usefully via the  diagnostics connection?

Cymro.

Vibration test? Never heard of that..

You test them by putting the car into reverse and turning the ignition key to the 2nd position (the one before starting the car) - then going around the back and putting your ear next to each one and listening. From the sounds of it, one will be clicking a little weaker than the other - replace that sensor.

If the sensor is failing or the connection has corroded - you'll get an intermittent fault.