loftusroad

what anti virus do you use?

well IT is my profession... and we staunchly avoid mcaffee like the plague. Its inefficient, bulky and not all that effective. Norton 360 is better than nortons of old, but still insists on taking over your whole machine and imposing its will upon you (including turning on a firewall that buggers up a lot of windows services).

My personal preference is Microsofts Security Essentials. Its free, has a smaller footprint than AVG and keeps itself to itself 99% of the time.

We have it installed on every single client we have. Have had no issues with it. Wish i could say the same about machines running AVG and mcaffee.

well IT is my profession... and we staunchly avoid mcaffee like the plague. Its inefficient, bulky and not all that effective. Norton 360 is better than nortons of old, but still insists on taking over your whole machine and imposing its will upon you (including turning on a firewall that buggers up a lot of windows services).

My personal preference is Microsofts Security Essentials. Its free, has a smaller footprint than AVG and keeps itself to itself 99% of the time.

We have it installed on every single client we have. Have had no issues with it. Wish i could say the same about machines running AVG and mcaffee.

cheers for the advice

I use Kaspersky Internet security 2011 - if you bank through Barclays you may get this for free - they give me a 3 license version and i have no issues with it - its easy to turn off/pause for gaming through too.

EST NOD 32 for me...Only installed in two weeks ago because AVG Free wasnt doing too well..!

Also run a program called Trojan Remover in conjunction which is about £15 a year and worth its weight in gold..!

There an unstoppable team, like Andy Cole and Dwight York for Man Utd :lol:

Avira Antivir Personal

Use Avira Antivirus.

These lads know what they're talking about. It's buy far the best free Anti Virus I've used in the last 5 years. I'm pretty IT savy and do a bit of coding in my job so I would say I'm above the average user in computer knowledge.

I stick with Avast, works pretty well, is free and easy to turn off when you're gaming.

Comodo is also good, and you can use it corporately as well for free.

Avast is free for home use, and i've found it to be pretty decent.

I'd also highly recommend Avira as well, i've had no issues at all with it when i've been using it.

the problem with things like avast and avira... is that you think they are working well because you're not catching anything.... you only realise they arent ideal when stuff starts sneaking through.

i support over 200 clients day in day out, most have several computers (as many as 30 per client) and due to the volume, we are far more aware of what anti virus packages do and do not work.

we generally remove anything thats not norton or microsoft security essentials. Avast has caused us no end of issues in the past.

I used to have mcafee which was good at what it did - only thing was it could only stop viruses it knew about (I'm sure all anti virus are the same) and it did slow the computer down but that didn't bother me much.

My main problem was Kids + messenger or facebook or downloading songs = trouble

I have a mac now with no security and it's worked fine for 2 years. (I know macs are equally open to threats it's just 99% viruses / trojans are made for windows which makes mac safer)

Suhail, as I believe it, that's not actually true. On Mac's you HAVE to actively allow something to be installed or make key changes by entering your password so no virus can be slyly installed as it can (or atleast could in previous incarnations) of Windows. I could be wrong.

The only virus I know of on Macs is the one that came with a pirated copy of iLife which changed your background. That's right. A virus which did nothing other than changed your background (which you could then change back lol). Though I did read about a guy who hacked a Mac in less than a minute at a hacking competition. However, it did require the user to go onto a certain web page, download and then agree for something to be installed.

i use sophos endpoint....licence's can be a bit pricey...but does the job

They installed this on our system at work and it completely killed my computer! Had to put in another 2 gig of ram for it to work again!

Got a mac so don't use any.

I'd never use mcafee or norton again, I had no end of issues with both. Especially when trying to delete them to install something new!

X 2 on this, i tried to replace one with the other and again it killed my computer. Had to get the IT guy at work to sort it out :angry:

Now i just run AVG free which isnt the best but it stops the most harmful ones. I also use superantispyware which i find pretty damn good at stopping a lot of attacks.

On Mac's you HAVE to actively allow something to be installed or make key changes by entering your password

As the password is stored on the computer I assume it can be extracted or got around. A lot of work but is possible.

If the mac password system was so secure I'm sure my bank would be using them instead of 6 year old Dells lol