feva

M Tec Gear Knob Recovering

Worth a punt for £6 I suppose, compared to the £35 or so it'll cost you for a new gearknob. Post a DIY if you succeed :)

Thanks for reply

cos01 seen that one on eBay but says only for gear knob shown in picture which is the standard longer gear knob wasn't sure if it'll fit? thought forum might know of one for shorter M tec gear knob, but after taking mine off and looking against the one in the picture think it should work, possibly have to trim off some of the leather at the bottom as gear knob shorter but should work.

I suppose for £6 i'll give it a go.

whats the best way of getting silver trim at bottom of gear knob off (don't want to damage it)

whats the best way of getting silver trim at bottom of gear knob off (don't want to damage it)

I would use a shovel, but wrap the edge in cardboard so as not to damage your nob!

......or if a shovel is too big, how about a small butter knife/screwdriver or even see if it will pull off with your hands.

Thanks for reply

cos01 seen that one on eBay but says only for gear knob shown in picture which is the standard longer gear knob wasn't sure if it'll fit? thought forum might know of one for shorter M tec gear knob, but after taking mine off and looking against the one in the picture think it should work, possibly have to trim off some of the leather at the bottom as gear knob shorter but should work.

I suppose for £6 i'll give it a go.

yeah thats what il do aswell trim some off...order it and we can compare whos is the best hehehe

BOB brilliant laughing my head off :D .

has a look at it inside and appears to be well glued on so think it'll have to stay put and when recovering tuck edge of leather into groove above silver trim with back of stanley knife blade.

yeah thats what il do aswell trim some off...order it and we can compare whos is the best hehehe

What, like a circumcision?

Looks nice,

did you have to cut much off the bottom of the replacement cover?

What did you use to tuck it in near the silver cover?

Oh and what type of glue did you use?

Few questions but I've got a competition going on with cos01 to see who can do the best job.

Looks nice,

did you have to cut much off the bottom of the replacement cover?

What did you use to tuck it in near the silver cover?

Oh and what type of glue did you use?

Few questions but I've got a competition going on with cos01 to see who can do the best job.

Hard to believe but no glue needed. The bottom silver piece comes off but is a bugger. After I took all the old leather off I put in a pan of boiling water to soften the glue then it will come off.

Once it's all disassembled and clean I coat in washing up liquid and slide the new skin on. Make sure you line the stitching with the 2 grooves in the body housing. Once you are happy leave for 30 mins the washing up liquid goes sticky and holds it in place. Trim and refit the bottom sleeve and yer done. The

E46 Convertible Imola Red

Well covers turned up tried fitting got cover on ok,

but distance between stitching is too far apart can't got both grooves to line up :-(

keep trying but can't see anyway round it cover pulled right up.

well its done, as said above stitching too far apart to fit into both grooves so just balanced it between them both.

this shows how far away it is when in one groove.

and almost done just need to fix badge into place.

post-20765-0-27863300-1347456085_thumb.j

post-20765-0-82362400-1347456140_thumb.j

not bad for £6

did as siffion said only difference was soaked leather in warm water to try and get stitching into grooves but didn't help.

hardly had to trim any off bottom as pulled right up, tucked the top in using blunt knife edge (bit hard tucking in stitching as not in grooves)