simonlpearce

Home Brew Beer

Me too. The instructions say at 26degrees, which mine is, it can be done in 4 days and today's the 5th day, so I went for it.

From 1045 to 1008, makes it 4.9%. Check tomorrow, hope my bottles turn up, but no harm in leaving it for a few more days.

ETA: didn't taste it, got scared of putting something in the vessel.

Edited by Sam

Lol when I tasted it I poured it into my mouth without my lips touching the sample tube, so the rest got poured back in.

Was just reading on the kit manufacturer website and they say minimum of 10 days in the FV, so a couple more n I'm good to go.

Im not doing an ale, mine is a pilsner so the brewing technique may be ever so slightly different, temperatures mainly from what i can tell...

Here is a pic of mine from last night, kinda looks like piss but smelled n tasted good ^_^

imagehok.jpg

Thing is though even after releasing all the pressure from my FV, its still fermenting as the airlock is still bubbling away. I also had a read of the beer kit manufacturers website and they say mine should drop to around 1005 (5.1%). So im going to leave it another week in the FV to see how it goes.

Mine is inbetween the green markers on the gravity thingy, so already developed quicker than yours. (its not a race!)

I agree it smelt a lot better than at first (when I almost was sick into the barrel!). Need to get one of those tubes, as when ever I put the gravity tester in the liquid all the bubbles attach to it and you cant tell what the reading is! Did your kit come with it?

Edited by Sam

No my kit didnt come with one but you can pick them up from Wilkos for about £2. Its worth getting one as if your hydrometer is infected in any way then your not risking your whole brew.

Agreed though yours seems to be moving along a lot quicker than mine, perhaps its because you pitched the yeast warmer than i did so it got going quicker, who knows...

Yeast develops quicker the hotter it is (within reason), my liquid was 27 when it was added, as I knew it'd make the process quicker.

Of course, I sterilised my hydrometer before it went in, so should be ok.

I'll pop to Dyas after work and check for one.

Looking good! You can probably stick some finings in before bottling, or once bottled dry store it then cold store it for a good few weeks and it should clear loads more. At least this is what i have read.

I just took a look at mine and its definitely still bubbling away...think it may be a little to cool as it seems to be very slow in comparison!

Thanks, looks and tastes better than expected!

I'm tempted to do just that, as I really want it to be bottled for a few weeks before christmas, which is when it will be consumed. It will be bottled for a few days in the warmth of the house then moved to a cooler place.

Mine was still bubbling a little, and we're going to do it in 2 days, maybe 3, so that'll be 10/11 days brewing. The instructions say 5-7, so I'm double what they say at minimum!

Took another reading yesterday and it seems to be sitting steady at 1012, which according to instructions seems a little high still. Might chuck it in a bath of warm water for a couple of days to try n speed up the final stages as im bored of waiting now :( .

It did however taste VERY yummy, so i can wait to get this primed and ready for drinking!

Hoping to get it bottle over the weekend.

Mine is errr, still going. Reading today was 1002! Makes the final product 6.8%!

It's still really cloudy too, so it's scheduled for Monday to be bottled up. But of course I'll take readings over the weekend.

My bottler turned up as well, ad I managed to attach it to my pipe, so that'll make it much easier as well.

Well, its still going. Much clearer but not as clear as I'd like, and its still got sediment floating, so needs to settle. It tastes a bit watery, but I hope that'll be sorted by the bottling and resting.

Reading was taken again. 994! Making the brews current outcome a tidy 7.3%.

Hoping it'll settle now and be ready on Tuesday. The bloke moves into the flat on Friday!

Sam i think the wateryness is due to the extra sugar, it gives a higher alcohol content but takes away from the overall flavour from what i can gather.

I actually bottled mine over the weekend. Thats a mission in itself i tell you, 3 hours total start to finish. I stuck all the bottles in the bath and sterilised, then cleaned with a bottle brush, then rinsed, then tried to dry (need a bottle tree for sure), then added sugar, then added beer....

Here is the end result.

imageqrqs.jpg

All tucked up somewhere warm and dark.

imagesxpg.jpg

I stuck these pics on a homebrew forum and the advice i was given is to leave it in the FV for 2 weeks once fermentation had finished but move somewhere cold to clear, as its a little cloudy. It should clear up in the bottles still but i will have to pour carefully as there will be sediment which i don't want to disturb.

So now its a waiting game - 2 weeks warm and around 2 weeks cold, then its time to :beer:

Maybe, I hope it'll develop enough in the bottles to keep some flavour. If not, there is always the beer (next brew).

Same idea for us, bottles in the bath, cleaned and dried as much as possible, then its production line time!

Do you haver a bottler?