R11CH

R11CH: Supercharged E46 Build.

On 29/04/2016 at 20:40, evokid said:

Lovely looking Coupe. Toying with fitting a head unit like this also. Which one did you go for and where from? (Appologise if already mentioned in previous post?) 😁

But a credit to you great car.

Thanks.

I went with the Xtrons non andriod DAB version unit from Ebay. Very impressed for the £200 i paid for it, certainly brings the interior up to date. Don't get me wrong there is better units out there but i just wanted a simple, good looking unit as all the gizmos of the andriod was a bit much for me as all i wanted was dab, handsfree and listen to music via my phone, sd card and usb stick.

So, i had been eyeing up an induction kit for the car as i wanted a bit of noise and almost bought a simota kit from a member here but the more i looked at them i was going to suffer more with heat soak and not to mention the price.

With that in mind i decided to modify the standard airbox which in my opinion is a better set up and looks right in the engine bay.

So i began by removing the airbox and marking out the 10 20mm holes on the cold side of the box so to speak, with them drilled out i decided to wrap the airbox in a aluminised heat reflective cloth to try and stop some of the heat soak from the expansion tank and alternator.

I then hot glued a piece of stainless steel gauze over the holes so that nothing big could enter the airbox.

So i ended up with this

20160612_125517_zpsewlwbiut.jpg

20160612_125454_zpsblovpup8.jpg

20160612_125506_zpsd7mxwx3i.jpg

20160612_125531_zpsciqjsmz5.jpg

20160612_125543_zpssvggrfcs.jpg

The cold feed i used aluminiun foil ducting to reflect the heat some more and ducted it in to the front arch.

I then cut a hole in to the existing alternator duct and plastic glued a piece of shaped pipe to the duct and then attached my ducting to it, i did however get carried away and forgot to take pictures of this bit but im sure you can imagine what a piece of pipe with another piece of stuck to it looks like.

All fitted

20160612_130459_zpsppxwngmo.jpg

20160612_130451_zpsousj1xvh.jpg

Best part is it all looks oem as the bottom half of the box is down in the depths, as to whether or not the aluminium cloth helps?? who knows but i had all this laying around from previous projects so thought why not.

Noise.... Sounds awesome, enough noise to make you pin it everywhere but not obnoxious to annoy you or feel like a lemon coming down the road, heel & toe sounds brilliant, can really here the blip on the throttle and its at its best between 2k-4k but obviously makes noise through out the rpm range.

Well chuffed and cost me nothing other than a few hours on a wet day.

Nice mod Rich, I am tempted to do this now. I won a simota kit on eBay but the seller never posted it, so I was disappointed. Drilling and gauzing the holes sounds good, and as its not on show it still looks oem. Plus I have a pipercross panel filter that sounds slightly better than factory anyway. 

14 hours ago, gaz-777 said:

Nice mod Rich, I am tempted to do this now. I won a simota kit on eBay but the seller never posted it, so I was disappointed. Drilling and gauzing the holes sounds good, and as its not on show it still looks oem. Plus I have a pipercross panel filter that sounds slightly better than factory anyway. 

Trouble with ebay but like i said above the standard airbox is a good design hell its even got a velocity stack and i noticed its removable so could even shorten or lengthen the intake so its tuneable but im sure Bmw have already got the most out of it.

Il be ordering an ITG filter so that will make it a little louder still then. 

Go for it!

Car is looking great and I'm liking the air box mod. I'm even getting convinced on the colour coded splitters now!

Considering doing it on my 330ci now as I'd like a bit more noise but also don't fancy an open cone in the bay.

Does it sound the same on part throttle? I don't want it too noisy you see!

9 hours ago, bennno2005 said:

Car is looking great and I'm liking the air box mod. I'm even getting convinced on the colour coded splitters now!

Considering doing it on my 330ci now as I'd like a bit more noise but also don't fancy an open cone in the bay.

Does it sound the same on part throttle? I don't want it too noisy you see!

Thanks.

Haha nearly convinced you with the splitters.

Part throttle it sounds like oem all the way through the rpm its only when you go full throttle or labour the engine in a gear higher you get all the noise which is great i think as long journeys it wont bug you or sound like a burke going to the shops.

9 hours ago, LJColeman said:

I love this car! Have you got a link to the splitters? they look spot on.

They are the SSD spliters, they are a good fit and i have yet to have them bonded.

Feel for you dude, same thing happened to my Mrs car last year. People just don't give a sh*t these days, just hassle and expense you don't need. Hope you can get it sorted. 

Got my ITG panel filter through the post the other day and got round to fitting it today. Has made a nice improvement to the noise of the car and it feels a lot more responsive but that could just be me. Another thing i noticed after giving the car a session down the B roads is it pops and burbles now on the overun which is nice.

20160703_100425_zpsdhfomlaw.jpg

Edited by R11CH

On 7/3/2016 at 17:05, R11CH said:

Got my ITG panel filter through the post the other day and got round to fitting it today. Has made a nice improvement to the noise of the car and it feels a lot more responsive but that could just be me. Another thing i noticed after giving the car a session down the B roads is it pops and burbles now on the overun which is nice.

20160703_100425_zpsdhfomlaw.jpg

Is your exhaust standard too?

I've got a K&N Panel filter and will be drilling holes in the airbox like you have when I get around to it. Do you think its worth bothering with the cold feed too?

Yep standard exhaust but really want to remove the secondary cats and centre box.

Cold feed is definitely worth it or you might as well fit an aftermarket filter to produce more noise but compromise performance. 

Im well pleased with the results of mine and im sure it would help towards performance if i were to have it mapped.

Been busy tinkering away on the car again the past couple weeks, decided to tackle the oil filter housing gasket as its been leaking and while in that area replace the intake hoses as one had a slighty crack appearing and clean the idle control valve which may i add was filthy! While i had the alternator and belts etc off i noticed the 4 year old water pump from eurocarparts had play in the bearings!! so i ordered up a new Oem Bmw water pump, belts and tensioners and set about replacing the lot including the oil filter housing gasket and intake pipes. 

Unfortunately i didn't get any photos but its a messy job cleaning up all the engine block etc and the intake hoses were actually the hardest part as gaining access to the jubliee clips is mare!!

With that done i decided to remove my front bumper as i wasn't happy with the alignment although it wasn't that bad it just bugged me. I also decided to remove the arch liner and side skirt to see what might be waiting for me underneath having seen plenty of 46s rotten in this area but i was surprised to only find a couple of spots of rust which i ground back, treated and then cavity waxed the box sections and fully undersealed the lot, shall be repeating this on the other side and then rebuild the front up before moving to the back of the car for more fun.

Engine side of things all back together

20160910_173031_zpsxxxpiy5h.jpg

Everything cleaned up ready for masking before applying the underseal.

20160918_162144_zpsuh7j5krk.jpg

20160918_162037_zps6utpeida.jpg

20160918_162052_zpspbq8medu.jpg

20160918_162059_zpsfafght8e.jpg

20160918_162117_zpsvehyzzui.jpg

Ubderseal completed 

20160918_172658_zpsdf3guhyw.jpg

20160918_172713_zpscnumit5j.jpg

20160918_172745_zpsghvjmv7i.jpg

20160918_172735_zpsk2i9m3rw.jpg

20160918_172809_zpshmlxtasc.jpg

So got all the arch liner back in the drivers side and began work on the passenger side, stripped it all back and good to see no rust so did the same processes as the drivers side and continued both sides down to the back so she is fully undersealed with a two step dinitrol spray underseal from the front of the car to the start of the rear wheel arch, should keep the rust at bay.

Sorted the bumper fitment with new clips and adjustment of the sliders, sitting much better now.

I also cleaned up both front ABS sensors and abs rings, stripped both front brakes down cleaned and reassembled and attached a few penny washers to the disc guards as the corrosion has got at the mounting points so all should be good on the front for a good deal of time. 

Front bumper back on and sitting nice again

20160925_164410_zpsdykuwbf5.jpg

Both sides 90% finished just a couple new splash guards required for the lower half of the arch liner as at some point they have both cracked. Also missing from the picture is the brake duct as im modifying that a little better for my cold air feed :)

20160925_164514_zpspd6win7l.jpg

20160925_172937_zpslwwn6bfc.jpg

Little bit of an update, Cold air intake feed installed and finished, pleased with the result.

20160928_202449_zpsbtx2qvxt.jpg

20160928_202528_zpsupundsjc.jpg

Got the rest of the car all undersealed, forget just how much of pain this job was removing everything from bumpers to dropping the exhaust system but i got there in the end in between work and the odd weekend. Also stripped the brakes down and gave them a clean up and reassemble. Hopefully should keep the shell rust free for a few more years to come.

20161030_100624_zpsojrcbwsv.jpg

20161030_100637_zps8hey0ryw.jpg

20161030_100808_zpsf1lfngxi.jpg

20161030_100904_zpsyqffoadk.jpg

20161030_100937_zps6vwomnb4.jpg

Gave the rear arches a plastic sound proofing stone chip as apposed to the waxy underseal i coated the rest of the car in, comes up really nice and should last a good deal of time being a bit more hard wearing in that area.

Shall post up the other bits i have been doing once i get the car on its wheels but got some more plans for the old girl.

Great work Rich and excellent attention to detail. I've just purchased some underseal myself to do my front and rear arches and also the side sills. How much have you used so far on the amount you've done? Also is it easy to remove the front arch liners? I'm now using my car daily and would like to attack it with some preventative maintenance. 

Echo that - good stuff! I'm planning to do my new e46 soon after seeing the fate of my old one (or at least wax it until the summer). What did you use? I used 3m stuff and a spray gun on the e30, but it's still not dried fully in places after a couple of months!

20 hours ago, gaz-777 said:

Great work Rich and excellent attention to detail. I've just purchased some underseal myself to do my front and rear arches and also the side sills. How much have you used so far on the amount you've done? Also is it easy to remove the front arch liners? I'm now using my car daily and would like to attack it with some preventative maintenance. 

Thanks pal.

i bought,  3x under body wax, 1x Cavity wax, 2x Stone chip, 1x rust converter. Used most of it.

Front arch liners are a pain for what it is, side skirts need to come off, the big metal chassis support needs to be removed as the liner goes between the bolts and there is a bolt for the liner which cant be accessed with the support still in place.