cjohnson

330d custom exhaust options?

Deeper is good. The chap rang up earlier and said he'd be unable (or unwilling in case of damaging something) to do the decat, so I was thinking maybe I'd spend the extra few £££ on getting both the rear boxes deleted, rather than just the resonator. I don't mind loud under load, but would it still be OK to cruise with?

It's with them now, so I'll need to let him know early AM. Usually I'd procrastinate for ages over a choice like this!

*goes off to look on YouTube*

Edited by TriggerFish

Joe mine has already been done (although the rear box was cut open and emptied out) I'll try and get a sound clip later giving it some beans, it's much quieter than expected.

Cheers :)

Dan's doing the same too so hopefully I'll be able to get a good idea of what to expect :) I watched your earlier video and it seems pretty refined still, but I guess it's hard to tell when stationary.

He said something about feeding the original cat out the space available. Not the first person to turn the job down either. It needs a new clutch too which I'll do once I get back off holiday, so I'll see if I can have a go with the gearbox out (or get whoever does the clutch to have a go).

After listening to a clip of Dan's, I think I'll get the rear box deleted too. I can always replace it if I don't like the sound. I'll get the GoPro out and record some clips anyway.

I tried making a sound clip but all you get is the whine from the turbo with subtle 6cyl undertones until 30ish mph and then just the noise of the wind passing the car!!! (My crappy phone takes an age to upload to youtube so may be sometime next week). I reckon when they deleted my secondary cats and centre box they packed extra wadding into the back box...

Dannyboy, any chance you can wack yours up onto youtube or something? would love to hear another 330d that's had the standard delete.

Cant believe a Garage wouldn't be able to fit a decat pipe, seems crazy to me.

Ah, thanks anyway. If nothing else the fact there's not much to hear is a good thing (day-to-day use is my concern).

If Dan can't, I'm happy to shove it onto YouTube, or attach it to a post on here.

I thought it seemed a little strange too, but hey-ho, I'd rather he turned it down than made a mess of something/made other problems for him/myself.

Well, I got the car back today. In the end I only had the middle bit chopped out, with the view I can get the rest done later if wanted.

It feels faster than it did before, but I imagine part of that is just the step up on a Mini One I've been borrowing! Noise wise, inside the cabin seems much the same, but there's a video clip of the exhaust from outside uploading to YouTube (will update when it's done). I took some in-car ones, but you can't hear very much.

I'm hoping removal of the rear box when I get off holiday livens it up some more.

Edit:

Et volia:

Edited by TriggerFish

Being a good, law-abiding citizen, I thought I best tell my insurance firm. Being 22, I didn't expect them too be best pleased, so I got an online quote first, then added the exhaust so I had a rough idea what to expect. (I don't pay this much, it's on a mutlicar as is about £200 cheaper IIRC.

Standard car: £803

With exhaust change: £791

£12 cheaper. Logical . . . (No doubt the £17 admin fee wipes it out!)

Hi all. Basically I'm thinking of having full stainless system made for my touring.

I already have an ecotune front decat pipe fitted, and the rest of the system is standard. I'm after a nice sound from the 6 cylinder and a nice tip to tidy up the rear end.

So my question to you lot is, do I get both smaller cats removed?

Do I only have one box fitted to the system or two?

Do I keep it as a two pipe system or carry it on as one pipe from the already fitted front decat?

Opinions and ideas please :).

Regards Carl.

Thinking of having the Ecotune Decat fitted to my 330d (184 bhp) version,did you have it fitted and how did you find it changed things from std ?

Cheers

tbh, I've not noticed a difference apart from slightly faster spooling & a £40 profit from the swap. Danny, there isn't a DPF on a E46, so presume you just mean the restriction naturally put in place by the cat?

I'm more interested in the lower temp,but I like the idea of the stage 2 240bhp with 500nm torque,and the decat is reqd for this.

Thanks

As for the swap,how much are these std pipes worth then ?

Edited by domin8or

tbh, I've not noticed a difference apart from slightly faster spooling & a £40 profit from the swap. Danny, there isn't a DPF on a E46, so presume you just mean the restriction naturally put in place by the cat?

The primary cat on an e46 by ETK it’s a DPF and that’s what its designed to do but because what most people know as a DPF which is fitted on E90's and so on does it a different way by injection fuel into it to burn of the soot and rubbish that’s in there people tend to separate the two and call one a cat and one a DPF but technically there are both DPF's

Following on from this post: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/47575-330d-custom-exhaust-options/?p=713853

I've since had a decat and finally got around to doing a video of it. As you can hear - it sounds the same as without the decat! (I wasn't sure how it would sound externally.) From inside, there's a lot more turbo spool sound though. The video for this (camera on the wing) hasn't worked - all you can hear is wind noise. I'll see if I can get a drive by or something during the week.

Smokes more than I realised too!

The primary cat on an e46 by ETK its a DPF and thats what its designed to do but because what most people know as a DPF which is fitted on E90's and so on does it a different way by injection fuel into it to burn of the soot and rubbish thats in there people tend to separate the two and call one a cat and one a DPF but technically there are both DPF's

Never saw this reply before now. How is it technically a DPF if there's no way to regenerate it - it would just clog up & there'd be thousands of e46 derv's driving around (or not) with clogged up exhausts?

Still really quiet and refined Joe like mine, I really can't see how Dannyboy got his sounding like a 'petrol'

I'm tinkering with my exhaust tomorrow as I've got a blow from one of the welds when the secondary cats were cut out, for a giggle I'll try and get a sound clip of what a 330d sounds like with just a front decat pipe fitted LOL

Following on from this post: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/47575-330d-custom-exhaust-options/?p=713853

I've since had a decat and finally got around to doing a video of it. As you can hear - it sounds the same as without the decat! (I wasn't sure how it would sound externally.) From inside, there's a lot more turbo spool sound though. The video for this (camera on the wing) hasn't worked - all you can hear is wind noise. I'll see if I can get a drive by or something during the week.

Smokes more than I realised too!

I did a very similar video over the weekend, mine's slightly louder LOL

Sounds well though, a drive-by would be good