cjohnson

330d custom exhaust options?

I've got 2" single at mo & it sounds great think i posted a vid in earlier post

I had to fit cat because it failed mot & sounds std now but i've just got hold of a 200 cell sport cat & going to make a single 2 1/2 with the cat so its removeable

I've got 2" single at mo & it sounds great think i posted a vid in earlier post

I had to fit cat because it failed mot & sounds std now but i've just got hold of a 200 cell sport cat & going to make a single 2 1/2 with the cat so its removeable

Did it fail the smoke test ? afaik diesels don't undergo the emissions test

Past smoke test but failed for not having a cat cos it was fitted with 1 as std,aslong as they visually see 1 its fine but witout the sound of it gives it away

Mot tester showed me a email from vosa so didnt want to pass it without 1 dosent matter where on the pipe its fitted

You could but there us a obvious sound difference

I wouldn't say it's obvious? I've just put a full standard system back on for the mot (left the front decat pipe on - fine for MOT as can't be seen) and it sounds nearly identical to what I removed - rear box has been gutted.

DSC_0072_zps5219b6e2.jpg

Going to be going the same route now as Devil's mate but with a removable cat

I've got decat pipe & had 2" straight thru pipe i paid £31 for,sounded great but fitted cat to straight thru pipe to get thru mot & now it sounds same as when i had a std system,it still goes the same as cat is not on downpipe which gives most restriction

I've just ordered 2 3/8" stainless pipe to make a new straight thru exhaust

Oops won a 2.5" stainless system from an E92 330d at the weekend, will take it a bit of cutting/welding to fit but for the price couldn't say no. I haven't welded stainless before only mild so will get some off-cuts to practice on first

DSC_0065_zpsubzi4aqp.jpg

Edited by CharlE46

I haven't welded stainless before only mild so will get some off-cuts to practice on first

DSC_0065_zpsubzi4aqp.jpg

If you're using stainless wire, pure argon is needed, not the argon mix you'd normally use.

If you're using mild wire, welds exactly the same as if you're welding a mild exhaust, just cleaner!

Hi all, original poster here lol. I forgot about this thread. I got a system made in the bed, I went to powerflow Morecambe. I asked what he recommended and he said just keep the rest of the straight through the same size as my already fitted Ecotune decat pipe.. I think this is 2.25" or 2.5" I can't remember. He said that by up sizing the system to 3" beyond the decat would gain no benefit. Who am I to question the man that does it every day?

Anyway he did that, kept it the same size throughout, straight through now from turbo to a medium sized back box. Sounds and looks just how I wanted it to tbh! I've uploaded a pic and ill try to upload a sound clip but I don't know how lol.

k4jxcl.jpg

29y4ktc.jpg

Edited by cjohnson

I like the sound of yours bret, wish I'd have got a smaller back box so it was abit louder lol, cheers bungers!

I think yours sounds awesome Carl, just right imo.

Would love to hear this in person fellow Yorkshireman !

Edit: I think a 3" system would benefit a mapped engine.

Edited by Aamir

For MOT because its fitted as standard they like to see it there. I have a decat and they advised me on it, but I know my MOT testers well! Even if they suspect the cats have been tampered with but are present they cant do much. The legislation is fairly straight forward from what I read, if it has a cat and passes emissions thats all thats needed, dosent matter if they suspect you have gutted it. Thats why they now state engine covers and under trays fitted on the advisory as they are not allowed to remove them as part of the MOT.