MarkyN

Taking apart headlights

I got coupe facelift headlights and want to take them apart to fit some new angel eyes, what would be the best to take them apart?

Would a hair dryer work?

These are the headlights just incase people don't know which I mean

null-17.jpg

null-18.jpg

Yeah I done that with some Astra headlights but my dad isn't gonna let me use the new oven to do them haahaa. God damn it. He's got a heat gun in work but I can't get to it until next week / weekend

Hairdryer worked fine on mine both times I took them apart. Get some lollipop sticks or similar and use them to gently ease the lens off working your way around with the hairdryer, leaving the sticks in place as you move round. Try to warm as much of the sealant up as possible at a time so you don't put too much strain on the areas where the sealant is still cold.

I took my saloon headlights apart at the weekend, and on mine they just unclipped and lifted off, very easy. Would these be the same?

Saloon are completly different to facelift coupes, we can just unclip ours but coupes are 'sealed' units

I took my saloon headlights apart at the weekend, and on mine they just unclipped and lifted off, very easy. Would these be the same?

Saloon are completly different to facelift coupes, we can just unclip ours but coupes are 'sealed' units

Yep, for once, us saloon owners got a better deal :)

Hairdryer works perfectly, already done this to mine. Securing the angeleyes is the tricky part.

How did you secure them in the end? I need to get all the parts I need before I go taking my headlights apart and realising I don't have the right stuff to carry on with the job haha

They're the Depo headlights aren't they? How are you going to replace the rings, as when I fitted mine they looked like they were an integral part of the headlight.

Yeah they look like part of the headlight, think ill just glue it over the original rings

I used a heat gun, paint stripper gun, what ever you want to call it, it took me ten mins to strip each headlight, Heat the glue and just get a flat blade and prise it apart, you will even be able to pull it apart with your hands once its soft enough

I think you got ones for pre-facelift that are too big for a facelift

The rings I had already, all the bulbs had blown, I couldn't get most of the bulbs out to replace them also the wiring had broken in some sections too, that's why I ordered some new rings.

The rings I have now and slightly smaller on one ring and fit perfect over the other ring. Only thing that's looks rubbish at the moment is one of the rings has came off slightly at the bottom half, so I need to take out my main beam light bulb and pull the ring back in and re-stick it down