StuBeeDoo

Wheel colours. What would you do? Updates post 11 onward

I think I already know the answer to this, but I'd still like some opinions/views.

My car has its original Style 96s on. They still clean-up reasonably but ideally they need a refurb because they have some kerb-rash and in a few other places the paint is lifting.

I've got a set of Style 44s with good winter tyres on. The wheels themselves have had a DIY refurb (not by me, I bought them cheap). I think the first time they get dirty, I'll never get them clean again so really for any use at all they need a professional refurb. The original plan was to get the 44s refurbed in Ferric grey and use them as the 3-season wheels and leave the 96s as they are but put the winter tyres on. So far, so good.

Then I found, and bought, a tidy set of Style 157s which will now be my 3-season wheels. This is where my thinking becomes clouded, shall we say?

What do I do about winter wheels? Get the 44s refurbed and put the 96s into storage? This is the expensive option, but if I should sell the car I can bring the 96s out of hibernation to fit on the car for the sale then I get to keep my 157s and a set of winter wheels. I could spread the cost of a refurb on the 44s by having 2 done at a time, but are 44s actually worth refurbing? There are always plenty going cheap on the 'Bay - they're not exactly a sought after/well loved wheel, are they? (although, personally, I prefer the look of them to the 96s)

Or do I have the winter tyres taken off the 44s and put on the 96s, then weigh-in the 44s because they're not sellable as they are? This is the sensible (as in "cheaper") option, but if I should sell the car I will either lose my 157s or a set of winter tyres.

Decisions, decisions. :wacko:

What would you do??

Edited by StuBeeDoo

I would probably buy another set of wheels as you can't have too many sets can you :)

It's a tough call, both sets are 17 inch, both sets are easy enough to clean.

I personally would put the 96's away and go for a refurb on the 44's, but like you I prefer the look of the 44

Everyone knows what 44s and 96s look like.

OK, for those who don't know what these two look like, this is my car on 96s..............

E46003_zps8aa11ccd.jpg

............. And this is an image I was sent by a member on Fanatics of his car on Titangrau 44s. AFAIK, Titangrau isn't too far away, in shade, from Ferric grey and this is a good representation of the look I'd like IF I keep my 44s.

TitanGrauwheels1_zpse1650e0c.jpg

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Oh them! I have them on my e46 lol

I also had them on my old one, refurb'd to gunmetal for a while. Gunmetal doesn't go with Fern Green, that's all I can say lol :)

Consider cross spoke style 78 also. I really like them; they looked great on my old convertible :)

I was 70/30 towards getting the 44s done. I may have to have a rethink, though - I haven't had a really good look yet but my 157s may well not be the bargain I thought they were and my refurb fund could be getting directed at them which would then mean using the 96s as the winters. :(

OK. Time to ask more opinions.

I sold the Style 96s and had the 44s powdercoated in anthracite. This is the only image I have at the moment, but they're getting put on the end of this month so I'll get (at least) one of them actually on the car then.

Style44winters_zps42b1597d.jpg

Now, this anthracite lark is starting to grow on me. :o Up until the last few days, my plan was to get the 157s refurbed in Hyper Silver. This is how they look on the car at the moment.......

IMG_00021_zpse1cf06b3.jpg

Yesterday, looking on eBay, I found these.......

157sgunmetal_zps922c659b.jpg

Now I'm really starting to think! Should I have my 157s done the same?? I don't suppose someone could Photoshop that colour onto my wheels in image 2, please? I certainly won't be buying those 157s, because he's asking £600 for them. :o:wacko: But a Photoshop may help me decide if I want gunmetal, anthracite or Hyper.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

I love your style 44's in grey!!

Cheers! :thumbsup: I'm starting to warm to slightly darker wheels.

I would like to see some 157s done in BMW Ferric grey, but the powdercoater I use only gets it to order and I don't want to do all 4 of my wheels and then not like it. The 157s I nicked the image of off eBay are allegedly Gunmetal, but they look darker than my 44s which are Anthracite. :wacko:

Maybe I should play safe and settle on Hyper silver for the 157s, rather than make a costly mistake.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Good stuff! Would have driven my OCD mad that would!

Like non aligned bmw wheel hub caps :P:lol:

Yes! Just like that! How do people not find that a problem? :blink:

OK, how do you 2 align yours? I have mine with the M aligned to the valve. :)

Yes! Just like that! How do people not find that a problem? :blink:

OK, how do you 2 align yours? I have mine with the M aligned to the valve. :)
I don't ;) It's just Joe with the OCD hang up :) Edited by Mr Xen

I align them so the M in BMW is in line with the stupid ///M logo on the wheels on the style 68s. The style 200s don't have those, so I never worried before, but now you've pointed the valve out...(!)

Pete just doesn't get it :(

Edited by TriggerFish

I align them so the M in BMW is in line with the stupid ///M logo on the wheels on the style 68s. The style 200s don't have those, so I never worried before, but now you've pointed the valve out...(!)

Pete just doesn't get it :(

It's like the wife ironing the bed sheets WTF :lol: