StuBeeDoo

Wheel colours. What would you do? Updates post 11 onward

OK, back OT. Having seen Shuey's response to my Photoshop request here, I'm very tempted to buy a cheapy set of 157s off eBay and get 1 wheel 'coated as a sample. That way, I could choose the 4 wheels out of 8 that are most in need of a refurb to have done (in whatever colour I finally decide on) and punt-on the best 4.

I'm really thinking aloud here, because I'm still not going to do anything at all until I've seen the car with my Anthracite 44s on. After all, as good as that Photoshop'd image looks, in reality the car might look s**te with that colour wheels on.

Edit..... Or, I could even have 2 sets of 157s and punt-on the 44s. Now there's a thought............... :DThat would mean I could sell the spacers and long bolts I bought for the 44s too. This is looking like I could have another set of 157s for minimal net outlay.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

I'm very tempted to buy a cheapy set of 157s off eBay and get 1 wheel 'coated as a sample. That way, I could choose the 4 wheels out of 8 that are most in need of a refurb to have done (in whatever colour I finally decide on) and punt-on the best 4.

Edit..... Or, I could even have 2 sets of 157s and punt-on the 44s. Now there's a thought............... :DThat would mean I could sell the spacers and long bolts I bought for the 44s too. This is looking like I could have another set of 157s for minimal net outlay.

OK, so I've spent a lot of time since I posted that mulling it over. It's a bloody daft idea, when I've already got two sets of wheels. For one thing, I got rid of the 96s partly because I don't have the space to store a third set. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just get 1 157. At least that could be used as a full-size spare..........

Maybe I'll just get 1 157. At least that could be used as a full-size spare..........

Bought one off everyone's favourite auction site. Just need a part-worn to go with it.

The more I look at the Photoshop Schuey did, the more I'm not sure. Sometimes I think it looks good, sometimes it looks s**te. :( I'm getting impatient for colder weather now so that I can put the 44s on - maybe that will give me a better idea.......

Get one set done in orange, the other set in green.

Rockin'

I actually saw a Compact yesterday with 157s on. The car was dark blue and the wheels were bright blue! :o

Whatever happens with my 157s, I've still got a white wheels itch to scratch......... Or maybe I don't. I couldn't face having to wash them every other time I drive the car.

Just seen these Stu....

OMFG! :o

OK, so I'm a 5-spoke fetishist, but those are frakkin' awful. The bright blue ones on a dark blue Compact running around here are much nicer, if you want something "different".

Edited by StuBeeDoo

I've just ordered a set of chrome bolts and lockers for the 157s, ready for when I have the rimz Anthracited. I'm now fairly certain it will happen. :)

Having seen what the chrome bolts that came with the spacers look like against the Anthracite 44s, I don't think the standard BMW black bolts would look right.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Bought a set of style 44's yesterday for £70 with tyres to put my e46 back to standard! Never realised what a nice wheel they are!

Really easy to clean too compared to the mv1's I have now

Haha i feel your paint i had bbs's before & cleaning inbetween all the little gaps is a night mare

I'm starting to warm to slightly darker wheels.

I'm now 80% towards having the 157s done in Anthracite.

I washed the car today because it was proper minging. When I got to the wheels, loads of mud came off, but the only noticeable difference was that once they were washed they were shiny again. Dirty, they just seemed the same colour - only matt. Seems like a win to me. I should have taken a comparison photo......

I want to see what they look like with just brake dust on, not the mud they were caked with earlier today. That may take a while because of all the building work going on near my work which is causing the roads to be extremely muddy. Maybe I'll go for a blast somewhere at the weekend. :D

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Right so. The spare 157 has now been refurbed, and I trial-fitted it at work last night. The images aren't the best because of the sodium-vapour lighting. :( The first image is one of the existing silver rims (DIY'd by the PO, not original BMW finish but close - as far as I can tell)

IMG_0009_zpsd8b8cb54.jpg

Then the Anthracite. Different angles, and one of the full car with a (dirty) 44 on the rear for comparison.....

IMG_0007_zpsd5843ff8.jpg

IMG_0003_zps70168a3e.jpg

IMG_0002_zps981afbde.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsd88102c0.jpg

I'm now 95% sure I'm going to settle on Anthracite for the 157s. The alternative is black barrels with either Hyper silver or White spokes and lips. Ray said he can do 2 colours, but it would be an extra £100 to do the set. I'm not that bothered about the extra expense, but having finally seen what the 157s look like in Anthracite, I think I could live with them...........

I will have to get in the habit of dressing the tyres every time I wash the car, though. If you look at the rear tyre in the full-car image, that one was washed yesterday and not dressed. I never realised how quick the dressing wears off.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

I like when the wheels stand out B)

Those white 44s of your's do look tasty, but now I've seen how Anthracite looks when it's dirty, I doubt I'll ever go for white - or even go back to silver. I really CBA to wash the car just because the state of the wheels dictates.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Don't get white. They only stay clean for about 10 minutes.

That's why I saw the light and plumped for darker (pun intended). White does look mint when it's clean, but as I posted above I CBA to clean them every time I drive the car. My only other option was Hyper silver, but I decided that on my 157s it would be nearly as bad as white. :(

I think Anthracite will look good with the blue on your car Dude. :thumbsup:

Edited by StuBeeDoo