albino-jay

The age old short shift question

I know this has been covered quite a lot, and I have searched and browsed various forums with no general conclusion.

so I was just wondering what the craic is. what have people (if any have) fitted to their cars on here, and how do they find them??

Now I found this picture on here,

e30-shifters.jpg

and it looks like the z3m would give me the shortest throw, albeit with a bit more effort putting it into gear (which I don't mind)

however, I've also read on here that people have issues with them catching on their props? but I cant seem to find anything more about this other than what people have "heard" on here.

I've looked at B&M kits and they seem to be stupidly expensive, and then there is ebay cheapo's which I'm usually all for, but I've also heard a lot of bad things about them.

So what do people use on here? I'm after something for my 330ci as the gearchange is ridiculously long tbh. Which is no major issue now, but if I start to give it big slipwheelz It may be a pain in the arse.

cheers folks, and again apologies for going over old ground.

Went for a B&M shifter when i had my E46, I also have an AC Schnitzer SSK in my M3 Evo and a cheap £30 ebay jobbie in my track car. All of which are much alike only the ebay one was a very tight fit, oh and the ACS one comes with replacement selection rods.

Went for a B&M shifter when i had my E46, I also have an AC Schnitzer SSK in my M3 Evo and a cheap £30 ebay jobbie in my track car. All of which are much alike only the ebay one was a very tight fit, oh and the ACS one comes with replacement selection rods.

How do you find the cheap ebay one? Part of me is thinking that for the price it's gotta be worth a bash.

Would be interesting to know where the e46 rod sits in that line up tbh.

Hard to draw a conclusion without knowing.

I know, it would be helpful :(

z3m will hit the prop and will not hold in reverse. i think a z4 is one to go for.

bottom end of the e46 shaft is very close to the ball, close to the z4-2.5 one listed above

That's the thing though, the E46 is like stirring porridge IMO so I want one with a longer lever below the ball pivot to reduce the throw. The Z3m does look rather long like it would hit the prop but then the Z4 looks like it would make bugger all difference apart from reducing the length of the gearstick in the car.

I the z3 won't work as I've just had to take it off lol.

As for the z4 I'm just relaying what I've come across. Don't go for an eBay one. Had one for a while but the collar on it snapped.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact using Tapatalk

Sweet, this is the exact sort of info I'm after. People with first hand experiences of it all.

Ebay cheapo out of the question then looking back at that picture of the various shifters. Do you reckon you could get away with the z4 3.0 as its a bit shorter than the z3m one or do you think that will still have issues?

Hi, I've got a 330cd with short shift already fitted when I bought it. It's the b&m version.

Need to take it out as my g.f can't select reverse as it's a little harder than standard lol

Is it much work to put back to standard?

i wouldn't imagine so, when i did my clutch it was relatively pain free to remove the gear linkage, if you put it back to standard let me know if you sell the b&m one i'd be deffo interested!

ahhh im in stockport mate. i could find out if it fits though and then see about doing some sort of swap? i can cope with my car being off the road for a couple of days.