govich

330Ci ... gone :(

11 hours ago, scottycsx said:

I don't have a build thread. But you can catch me on instagram n7_btg

Cheers mate, looks like a pretty extreme build! I'll be following it to see how you go & how the engine holds up with more boost & track time than mine

Are you on the factory exhaust?

Edited by govich

I made some progress last night on researching water-methanol injection after getting trustworthy advice that keeping the intake air cool will avoid other potential issues in summertime. That (logically) drove me to think about a smaller pulley for the charger to put in more boost & take advantage, as it's running very rich it wouldn't need a retune.

I had a tinker in excel with the V3Si compressor map, red line below is the current setup & orange would be with a pulley sized to give 0.7 bar at redline.

V3Si%20compressor%20map_zpswhkhomcv.png

I was surprised how far wide of the peak efficiency bands the M54B30 is, but I guess it makes sense as Vortech rate this charger at 775 hp and use it in kits for much bigger engines (i.e. it's oversized for a 3L). 

Anyway, conclusion was efficiency will drop into the mid-60s in the lower half of the rev range <4500 (probably lose power), while above that it should make more power. The setup looks pretty optimal pushing in 0.6 bar for a street car that spends lots of time at low engine speed. Water-methanol will help across the range so I'm going to stick with the 0.6 bar pulley and more gains will be had by messing with cams & ports later.

I had a look online and the first match is always the Active Autowerke E46 kit but it's way too expensive to import, same with the universal AEM kit.

Locally both Devil's Own and Aquamist seem to offer high quality stuff that's variously used in racing. Jason at BW Chiptune recommended Aquamist, one of the boys at work knows the owner & they're local to me in Sussex so I figure all that is a clear sign!

I've never really understood those compressor charts, your a smarter man than me [emoji23]

Get your pulley on, and go for the meth kit, then we can arrange a dyno day [emoji108][emoji106]

Surrey Rollin road perhaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a couple of you are in the southeast and thought you might be interested to know of a dyno and mapper closer to home in Ringmer East Sussex. 

https://m.facebook.com/RSC-performanceRingmer-Service-Centre-818630848196789/?locale2=en_GB

I know the guys really well, been going there for years and they just finished off the dyno cell as part of the expanding of the business. 

14 hours ago, R11CH said:

I know the guys really well, been going there for years and they just finished off the dyno cell as part of the expanding of the business. 

Have they dealt with the Siemens MS43 ECUs in E46s in the past?

If so, they may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Agree on the dyno day shout, if you know them, get us in there!!

14 hours ago, RMJ said:

Aquamist are decent, will be interested to see how you get on.

I had a good chat with a mate with experience with WMI setups. Funnily enough it may be a better system overall if I go for more boost because the charge air will be hotter & the water-meth will vaporise better and take more heat out. Still a bit more theorising to do before I commit!

43 minutes ago, govich said:

Have they dealt with the Siemens MS43 ECUs in E46s in the past?

If so, they may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Agree on the dyno day shout, if you know them, get us in there!!

Karl who does the mapping will be live mapping my car as soon as i have the manifolds changed so that will be a yes he has. They are using the software that JFA in kent uses if i remember right.

I shall nip in and have a word with him about a dyno day.

5 hours ago, govich said:

I had a good chat with a mate with experience with WMI setups. Funnily enough it may be a better system overall if I go for more boost because the charge air will be hotter & the water-meth will vaporise better and take more heat out. Still a bit more theorising to do before I commit!

This would be interesting to see what kind of results you achieve, id personally go for the front mount but then what intake temps are you currently seeing?

16 minutes ago, RMJ said:

This would be interesting to see what kind of results you achieve, id personally go for the front mount but then what intake temps are you currently seeing?

I'm not considering an intercooler because the piping setup would be an absolute PITA with the compressor outlet pointing backwards. avalaugh did a great job of getting a water-to-air cooler in there. I think WMI will be simpler in terms of not chopping things up and very effective in this setup, enough to offset having to buy the mixture.

Intake temps in the high 50s to low 60s degC are typical according to the factory sensor (don't know if that's within calibrated range) but that's on cold days. Methanol boils at 64.7 at atmospheric pressure, higher under boost pressure.

Very good point regarding the compressor outlet! ideally a small charge cooler in that space would be best but a wmi is the most straight forward solution. 

Those intake temps arnt actually that bad, methanol will certainly help. I've been looking at kits the past month or so, think I may go for the devils own single stage on a boost pressure sensor. I am really interested to see how you get on with aquamist. I can never get hold of Richard when I call!

I did the Meyle front lower arms yesterday and it's gotten rid of a slight wobble under light braking which I always thought was warped front discs, and steering is much more direct. The outer ball joints were a bastard to get apart but aside from that it's not a bad job! The source of the wobble was obvious - the rear bushes on both sides were useless.

A piece of advice for anyone doing this job, the factory nuts on the outer ball joints take a 17mm spanner and the inner take 21mm, the Meyle supplied nuts take 18mm on the outer and 22mm on the inner. I didn't have a 22mm spanner so had to re-use the factory bolts on the inner joint. 

Meyle%20arms_zps2nulz15e.jpg

Aside from that, I've developed an audible exhaust leak which I think I've pinned down, and found an oil weep from the CCV return to intake which I fiddled with while installing the supercharger. One step at a time!

Cheers

So this ran 308hp at the recent dyno day which was a bit disappointing, I got RSC to plot it against Paul's 355hp run on the same charger and the difference throughout the rev range was surprising. My AFRs are very rich in comparison & are probably costing power through most of the rev range (as well as costing fuel!). The plot below tells the story

Dyno_zpsi5qc0via.jpg

This morning I found that the hose clamps on the boost hose had worked their way off on both ends (rather than just the IAC for which it went into limp-home), and on reflection the graph above shows about 0.5 bar peak boost, lower than the 0.6 it's topped out at on the previous runs so I suspect it was leaking.

The silicone hoses are very slippery, I've managed to get them sitting a lot better with blue roll wrapped under the clamps, will need to check that this holds.

SC_zpsrtggbkaq.jpg

The oil leak is also not from where I expected; the CCV to intake pipe connection is fine, it's leaking from the intake pipe to charger connection. The answer is probably to fix the amount of oil carryover by renewing the CCV system or installing a catch can.

Aside from all that, new cats & rear brakes to go on this week!

Edited by govich

Another year, another MOT passed. Emissions info:

Fast idle (2500-3000rpm):

CO (limit 0.20%): 0.02% before SC with all cats, 0.08% SC kit fitted with all cats, 0.04% SC kit fitted but deleted primaries & new Klarius underfloor cats

HC (limit 200 ppm): 1 ppm before SC, 69 ppm SC with cats, 54 ppm SC with deleted primaries & new Klarius underfloor cats

Lambda all OK

New rear discs & pads are on along with new shoes, brake fluid, handbrake adjusted, a few of the exhaust hangers are in a bad state so one more job to the list.

Cheers

Edited by govich

33 minutes ago, govich said:

Another year, another MOT passed. Emissions info:

Fast idle (2500-3000rpm):

CO (limit 0.20%): 0.02% before SC with all cats, 0.08% SC kit fitted with all cats, 0.04% SC kit fitted but deleted primaries & new Klarius underfloor cats

HC (limit 200 ppm): 1 ppm before SC, 69 ppm SC with cats, 108 ppm SC with deleted primaries & new Klarius underfloor cats

Lambda all OK

New rear discs & pads are on along with new shoes, brake fluid, handbrake adjusted, a few of the exhaust hangers are in a bad state so one more job to the list.

Cheers

Did you clean it ?

Good going on the MOT pass. Re the running rich I remember reading another thread where a UK guy had an ESS charger and map and his was running Rich too, he contacted ESS and they gave him a new map to suit our fuel. It might be worth giving them a shout.