Groveruk

Harman Kardon. Worth a Retrofit ?

Hi all
Ive been offered a full harman kardon set up from someone who is totally gutting the inside of his car as he is going full on track car. What are these worth and is it a big job doing the swap? Is it even worth doing, are they much better in sound quality?

My last E46 had HK and my new one doesn't. Aside from the HK sub in the parcel shelf (which worked for about 5 minutes), there isn't a difference as far as I can tell (although there's been a year between the two cars so maybe I forgot).

I went in a friend's (saloon) with HK, and the difference between his car and mine was night and day. His was much, much bassier, although it wasn't quite as clear high up, from what I can remember.

I've got the standard HU with an amp, and Hertz speakers all round, and I think I'd rather have his HK setup! If it was HK or standard: HK, without a doubt.

Yeh been reading up on it and its not plug and play by any stretch. You need to change all the looms and other stuff and its supposed to be not much better for lots of effort. Apparently its easier and cheaper to go aftermarket and you get 10x better results.

I'm new to the land of e46 I've had many other bmws, I'm just wondering what kind of sound quality you can get with the factory option? And weather it's worth retro fitting, I've also got the option of having the Oem car phone kit too, what should I be looking to pay for all this as I'm not sure what a reasonable offer would be to make!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

A previous Alpina B3S in our family had the HK setup, I though it was quite feeble. Others are happy with it.

For me, if the car had been kept, I'd have absolutely gone with an excellent quality head unit, a decent 5 channel amplifier, 2 way component speakers in the front, some modest 2 way co-axials in the rear and an excellent performing 8 or 10 inch subwoofer firing through the ski hatch route. The sound quality increase with this 'simple' setup would blow away any of the oem audio setups.

Cheers, Dennis!

I had a 328Ci with Harmon Kardon and a professional nav unit (not the full size screen, the earlier version with a smaller screen and a tape slot to one side - still double din size) It was complet rubbish. Lots of distortion, rattles, buzzes, cut out all the time, CD player jumped with even the smallest bump, it was basically just really poor and I couldn't understand why people rated the Harmon Kardon upgrade.

My 328 was written off recently and I replaced it with a 4 years newer 330Ci which also had Harmon Kardon and professional Nav - full size screen, later spec head unit this time.

Its fantastic!

You can play it nice and loud, there's plenty of bass with next to no distortion, it all works perfectly, the CD player doesn't jump - I'm really pleased with it and wouldn't have any reason to consider changing anything.

So I think it really depends on how well its been treated by previous owners. Obviously you won't know this until purchased but I do believe the HK system is a great option providing its working properly. Keeps the OEM look too.

Hi,

As per above, some like the HK ! I looked/listened at the setup in the Alpina and then did the same in other E46's with the same setup - and each time the outcome for me was the same - I thought it wasn't very good at all. For an 'oem' setup, for those not to heavily into excellent sound quality, I can appreciate it's 'good' and in some peoples descriptor's 'fantastic' as per above! However, the 'general' consensus is that it's not.

It depends on what you want really as I mention above !

Cheers, Dennis!

Basic BMW audio system is crap. Like... really crap mate. If you can change it, do so. Won't regret it.

I wouldn't bother, but yes, base system is totally crap.

If you can afford it, i would totally redo the audio.

Hi,

As per above, some like the HK ! I looked/listened at the setup in the Alpina and then did the same in other E46's with the same setup - and each time the outcome for me was the same - I thought it wasn't very good at all. For an 'oem' setup, for those not to heavily into excellent sound quality, I can appreciate it's 'good' and in some peoples descriptor's 'fantastic' as per above! However, the 'general' consensus is that it's not.

It depends on what you want really as I mention above !

Cheers, Dennis!

I'm probably in a minority of one but I don't think there's anything wrong with the BMW Professional audio in my 4-door. I actually find the sound quality better than the Sony headunit/Infinity amp & speakers set-up I had in my E30. I'm a long way from being an audiophile, but it's a fact that a moving car is about the worst possible sound-stage.

As someone with a working HK setup, I definitely wouldn't go to the trouble of retrofitting over installing some decent aftermarket kit.

The HK stuff isn't really much to write home about compared to other good optional kit (Volvo, Lexus, Audi), so spend the money and time on something that will actually sound good.

I'm probably in a minority of one but I don't think there's anything wrong with the BMW Professional audio in my 4-door. I actually find the sound quality better than the Sony headunit/Infinity amp & speakers set-up I had in my E30. I'm a long way from being an audiophile, but it's a fact that a moving car is about the worst possible sound-stage.

You have PROFESSIONAL?!?

Wasn't that over and above HK? Business is standard spec..

You have PROFESSIONAL?!?

When I had the BM54 out a while ago it's got a sticker saying "BMW Professional BM54", or something similar. My build list refers to it too - option code 609, IIRC. :)

You have PROFESSIONAL?!?

When I had the BM54 out a while ago it's got a sticker saying "BMW Professional BM54", or something similar. My build list refers to it too - option code 609, IIRC. :)

....... The car appears to have spent the first year of its life on BMW GB's press fleet, and for an SE it is spec'd-up.