shaanaleem92

battery light on dash

So I was driving in the early hours of the morning today... as you would on the country roads have main beam on appropriately... but as soon as I did this... the battery light which is next to the main beam light on the dash came on... it wasn't constantly on... just on and off like it couldn't decide.

Tbh within 10 seconds of seeing the battery light I turned main beam off... which got rid of the battery light... but then it came on again briefly not long after.

The whole thing above lasted about 2 to 3 mins

i want to know is my battery screwed? Does it need charging or replaced... will i be able to start the car later today to go home.

Or is it just a false signal.

Edited by shaanaleem92

Could be battery or alternator. Check the amps and voltage of the battery with the engine on and off. Off it should be 12.4v ish or more, on it should be 14.3v ish.

I think Halfords do a free battery test and they sell Bosch batteries if it's duff, which is my choice of battery on a car that's a keeper.

Kirkynut

Edited by kirkynut

Sounds like the alternator is on its way out and its not recharging the battery which will throw up the battery light.

mine was was on and off but when testing it I turned everything elctrical on the car on and it soon chucked the light on and the volts dropped dramatically.

Easy check with a multimeter on the battery, check the volts before starting the car then check with it running.

you can via the obc hidden features as well.

Alternators aren't difficult to replace. Costs vary, not a huge amount though - depends on the car.

Even if you never see the light again - never assume it's fine. It will fail at some stage. Depends on whether you want to replace it before it fails, or let it fail. Problem being, it'll fail in the dark in the pouring rain, probably by the side of a motorway.

For peace of mind, just do it sooner rather than later.

yeh you will egt it cheaper with a refurb one,wheer a surcharge will be included,ie you gave old one for refurb one.last one i got that way was £70. not for bmw though,its the labour depending on what they got to take off to get to it

I think I paid £260 (non exchange basis) for my BOSCH one. I saw even bad reviews of the cheaper units to make me steer clear.

Still not fitted it yet, I'm going to see if I can brave another winter with the old one... (Watch this come back to bite me!)

Edited by TriggerFish

I think I paid £260 (non exchange basis) for my BOSCH one. I saw even bad reviews of the cheaper units to make me steer clear.

Still not fitted it yet, I'm going to see if I can brave another winter with the old one... (Watch this come back to bite me!)

Haha I think I'm going to brave it out as well.

Well check the battery tomorrow see how it's holding up on voltage etc

You're both braver than I am lol

I think stupid is the word!

20150929_193212.jpg

The battery drained over a few days of non-use so I jump started it, and the short trip to take the cats to the vets wasn't enough to charge it sufficiently to get me home. D'oh! E30 to the rescue! (Although it was too gutless to get the 330d going :( )

I want to replace the 330d, so I don't want to a) spent time fixing it b ) use a brand new part for a couple of weeks and ruin its resale value.

Edited by TriggerFish

If you're not even up to typing "replace alternator e46 320d" into Google and looking at the multiple guides/videos, I would suggest taking it along to a local garage. It's not a big job, so they shouldn't charge you through the nose.

Typing "320d alternator" into Ebay brings up a number of options in the £30-40 range if you're on a budget. But please double check it's for the right year before you buy. Try to buy a "known working/tested" unit, as you're not likely to have much comeback to a garage fitting a second-hand part. Worth checking with the garage that they are happy to fit your second-hand parts too.

If that scares, you're looking at upwards of £250-300 for a pattern replacement from ECP/GSF.