HOGGERS

BMW E46 330d M Sport (2001) Saloon

I noticed that my passenger side mirror had some distortion under the glass.

9dd3bccfcef7712b559a65cbb5fe2905.jpg

So purchased a second hand mirror

d77127f30b90110cf2ac3be6f2942be3.jpg

10 points to the person that can guess what Disney character is in the reflection. Parents of children under 10yrs should get this easy peasy [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good progress, I wouldn't recommend reading The_Judges thread though, he doesn't know what he's talking about (!) Always wanted to fit Leds and replace my memory glass, good inspiration mate :)

P.s. Rich - thought you weren't doing anymore to your car :)

Edited by The_Judge_

28 minutes ago, The_Judge_ said:

Good progress, I wouldn't recommend trading The_Judges thread though, he doesn't know what he's talking about (!) Always wanted to fit Leds and replace my memory glass, good inspiration mate :)

P.s. Rich - thought you weren't doing anymore to your car :)

I'm not. Honest. Nope. No more. Well....

So I thought this would be nice easy straight forward job but because it's me I managed to f**k it up!

Not only do I have air pockets in the plates where I drilled through ...

9cc8a57d0c412730733d1ebefb562d00.jpg

896d4245edb65f5efa2555025509a555.jpg

Any ideas on how to stop this happening again? Like the idea of using the OEM drill holes but think i might revert back to sticky pads next time

I also managed to drill the holes wonky [emoji30]

1a3375adb2a4473f471eeb4c4e4f61f7.jpg

To top it off I used sticky pads on the front to keep it clean but despite doubling the pads up at the ends there was too much of a bend in the plate and it kept coming off.

b6eb7eb84e543e48d9536ec3892d6ac4.jpg

Still new front insert is on. Just waiting to side inserts to arrive

c807bf831811ccd2e78b515ba66e1ef6.jpg

I've just fitted new plates to mine and you have to tape up the plate where you are going to drill and then drill through the masking tape marks to make the holes neater. Is also the best way as you can properly mark the holes with pencil before drilling. And yeah, have some wood behind the plate to make it easier. 

I've just fitted new plates to mine and you have to tape up the plate where you are going to drill and then drill through the masking tape marks to make the holes neater. Is also the best way as you can properly mark the holes with pencil before drilling. And yeah, have some wood behind the plate to make it easier. 

I drilled from front to back and had left the protective film on thinking it would be he same as masking up. I think the problem was that I pressed to hard and didn't have anything to lean on so did it hanging off the side of a table [emoji85]

Masking tape may help as well. Put a strip of masing tape on the edge you'll be drilling through, this should also make it easier to mark up and align the holes ! Then drill through the tape.

14 minutes ago, HOGGERS said:

I drilled from front to back and had left the protective film on thinking it would be he same as masking up. I think the problem was that I pressed to hard and didn't have anything to lean on so did it hanging off the side of a table emoji85.png

Ha! This is exactly the sort of thing that I used to do!! But I've had decades of mistakes so I have to plan everything meticulously to avoid mistakes and bodges as everything I used to do cost me twice as much as it should, as I was paying for and having to do things twice!!

14 minutes ago, HOGGERS said:  

I drilled from front to back and had left the protective film on thinking it would be he same as masking up. I think the problem was that I pressed to hard and didn't have anything to lean on so did it hanging off the side of a table [emoji85]

Ha! This is exactly the sort of thing that I used to do!! But I've had decades of mistakes so I have to plan everything meticulously to avoid mistakes and bodges as everything I used to do cost me twice as much as it should, as I was paying for and having to do things twice!!

Yep learning the hard way. Just spent another £13 on a rear plate!

4 minutes ago, HOGGERS said:

Yep learning the hard way. Just spent another £13 on a rear plate!

At least you weren't trying a head rebuild:)