tungmeister

Tungmeister's Clubsport Build - OEM Nav Android integration!

1 minute ago, TriggerFish said:

Good to know :) I see they do USB to 3.5mm adaptors too for a couple of £, which is good (assuming android supports them). annoyingly, it doesn't look to support their 3.5" touch screen without using ubuntu, which I don't want to do for an in car application (no Google Maps, and the Spotify client doesn't lend itself to small resolutions well, unlike the android version).

I'm guessing you do as you've got Spotify, but what, if any, internet/WiFi did you use? Or do you just run a long cat6 cable out to the car to download periodically? 

I've got my phone configured to activate its WiFi hotspot when it connects to the cars Bluetooth so I just tether off that. The reception with their WiFi adapter is pretty good so it can also connect to my home network without issue when I'm on the drive. Personally I wouldn't say the 3.5" screen would be of a high enough resolution. The screen I'm using is 800x480 and I'm not convinced anything less than that would be good enough. I'd say you'd be better off with a 5" 800x480 if you could fit it.

Ideal. The initial download of Spotify library wouldn't work on a tethered connection, so if it reaches inside, that's great. Although I could always just run another router off an extension lead and a length of cat5.

Yeah, the resolution is a concern. I've got an old 3.7" 480x800 phone next to me at the moment, and that feels quite borderline. All I need to be able to do though is either 'OK google' to start navigation, or type in a postcode/choose a playlist while stationary... 

My plan is to fit it in place of this clock, which doesn't leave much space to work with... I think 5" will be too big.

2015-10-03%2015.55.09.jpg

Still, food for thought, and good info, so thanks :) 

Edited by TriggerFish
Photo link fail

Shame Tungmeister did this write up for the Android integration and then disappeared – I’m hoping he’s not the guy on DetailingWorld.co.uk who had a Club Sport that ended up with the dreaded subframe cracks…

Anyway I recently fitted the RH steering column stalk from an X5 with the S button – which I bought when I thought it was possible to add ‘Intensive Wash’ to an E46, but have been thinking could the ‘S button’ actually be re-purposed as the ‘Screen’ button, to toggle between the OE screen and the other input without hacking the Bordmonitor switch. Problem is Tung kept the part about how you switch between the two in his set-up quiet! 

Following on from this I found another AT065TN14 screen https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-VGA-...19.m1438.l2649and parts which might actually be more applicable. In this model, the main PCB uses a 12 wire connector that connects to a smaller PCB which has the ribbon connector to the screen. Using this unit it would be possible to hide the much smaller PCB up front by the Bordmonitor (say in a 3D printed case) and run a 5m extension of the 12 wires to the boot where all the physical controls and connections could be made?

I like my Bordmonitor but the screen is pixelated and the AT065TN14 screen can be made to fit. Anyone else got an interest in working some of this through?