Sign in to follow this  
steve320cd

Alternator

Gents my e46 320cd 2004 has had a we bit of an issue,

The battery light came on the other day, the alternator was knackered, ordered a new one and changed it over this morning, car was running fine, no lights no codes all ok, then this evening under load the battery light flickers and then the whole car cut out everything, no brake no power nothing, pulled over and the battery terminal in the engine bay was smoking, no burning smell from the alternator at all, disconnected the battery for safety and left it, now tried re connecting and nothing at all no power nothing, any ideas??

Please help I'm in need here of some expertise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update, I've gone back outside and connected everything back up, cars registering no codes now and started ok, the battery light has flickered a few times but I'm getting a steady 14v through the on board computer as well, I'm stuffed? Perhaps a loose connection caused it???

Which alternator did you get?

My OEM one failed when the car was around 10yrs old.. Got a local refurbed one for £200 - that failed after 2 years. Was getting the battery light flickering issue. I knew it wasn't tensioner as i'd had the whole belt drive system replaced recently.

Bought a Bosch alternator from ECP - been fine since. But that was £350!

Moral of the story - could be a poor quality alternator

Well I've taken it all apart again and re-connected everything, made sure everything was nice and tight with the connections on the back of the alternator, then took it for a good run about 8 miles, got everything up to temp, no flickering light, and the battery cables were not hot, im assuming I didn't tighten everything properly, the real test will be tomorrow