steve320cd

Starting...poss battery

Gents 

a strange problem has started, yesterday morning the car really struggled to start, all lights came on the dash and the car wouldn't crank but the starter was spinning, I'd move the key back to 0 and try again then it would crank a little bit but not start, then on the 3rd or 4th attempt it fired up, once running it was fine, I pulled the codes nothing was coming up, however I did do the battery test on the dash and when trying to crank the voltage dropped down to about 8v, now the starter was replaced 4 years ago about the same time as the battery, ive tried again this morning and it fired up not on the first attempt, i let it sit there to warm up for a good 20 mins then switched off, again on the restart it was a pain to get going but eventually did, now I went out about a hour ago and it wouldn't have none of it, I've taken the battery out now and put it on a charge, again no faults were showing, any ideas??

My brothers car is doing the same thing

he's replaced the fuel filter, relay checked the fuses and changed the fuel pump and it's still doing the same thing. The battery is fine as he got it checked. 

We still trying to diagnose the cause with no luck so far

I've just changed the battery, still keeps doing it, I know it's the starter no fault codes are coming up, when it went last time it didn't pull any codes up 

How much do you think I should be paying for a starter motor replacement? I won't have time to do this myself so will need to drop to a garage 

I seem to remember getting a glimpse of the starter motor when I was doing ccv on mine. 

Looks buried. Not sure if it's easier to do from underneath...?

By all accounts it's a pig of a job. 

Starter cannot be just done from underneath, it's a pain of a job I've just changed mine. Access is very limited and you have to remove so many parts just to get near it, good luck if you do it yourself .I'll pay someone to change it if I ever need to have another fitted.

The decisions been made.....the cars going at the weekend. I've got myself a e92 320d msport coupe which I pick up Saturday, I've had the car 8 years and now it's time to say goodbye before it costs me a small fortune.