Brad smith

Brads E46 M3

So began fitting my eibach springs. Wow what a nightmare. Thought it would be fairly straight forward. The rears (which should be easiest) I struggled to get the spring in. They are actually larger than the originals is this right ? Also I couldn't put the bottom rubber in due to it being too big to go in the bottom of the spring, so I've had to put the top one on the bottom and nothing on the top. I'm not happy with it being like this tbh. So could anyone advise ? Struggled for ages with the front passenger side, strut didn't want to come out the hub. Finally got it in then cross threaded the drop link bolt. Managed to sort that. Then when tightening the bolts on the top of the strut I've now managed to crack the strut brace. So need a new one of those.

It seems to be sitting very low for eibachs which is what's making me worry a little bit that the rears aren't right. Soon as I've done the other side tomorrow will be getting full alignment done.

Hopefully pics tomorrow

nice car,but id of kept original wheels.as oppose to the csl style ones.

9 hours ago, Brad smith said:

I did like the originals but would've cost more to refurb and always loved csls.

its what i did on my 330d,bought some bbs motorsport reps,got them cheap(brand new)£300. my old mv2s ,one cracked.i just refurbed them myself and sold them on for around the same price as the new wheels.its just i thinl the m3 really suits the original wheels..them csl would look way better in gloss black and a lower profile tyre though me thinks.

9 hours ago, Brad smith said: I did like the originals but would've cost more to refurb and always loved csls.

its what i did on my 330d,bought some bbs motorsport reps,got them cheap(brand new)£300. my old mv2s ,one cracked.i just refurbed them myself and sold them on for around the same price as the new wheels.its just i thinl the m3 really suits the original wheels..them csl would look way better in gloss black and a lower profile tyre though me thinks.

Yeah they are a nice wheel. Might get another refurbed set in the future. I wouldn't go black wheels. Yeah tyres could be a lower profile but they was all good tyres so when I do need some more I shall get a lower profile.

2 hours ago, Brad smith said:

Yeah they are a nice wheel. Might get another refurbed set in the future. I wouldn't go black wheels. Yeah tyres could be a lower profile but they was all good tyres so when I do need some more I shall get a lower profile.

yeh,i went black ,,was considering it for ages,then two sets of wheels popped up at the right time.one set silver shadow,the othervgloss black..here they are,the 330d is my daily,i have the focus st mk2 for weekends etc  if iu ever go black again ,,on any other car,i will go polished lip,as the wheels still look good even though the lip has some curbing,better than scraping the black off.they are 8j front and 9j rear.

wheel.JPG

car wheels 039.jpg

Edited by rasa

With this lovely weather I done a few jobs I wanted to get done. I cleaned it first then got the trusty autosol out and cleaned a few bits up.

4ca093708de3769bb45e58fca5e36c50.jpg

c3eee59569cfd2216afa4b4abbbb5a20.jpg

6b601fa1d94a2318c420083a612fcf3d.jpg

79bf08d98fdc6ee1507e0d7a1f47c4af.jpg

5e6b419d08677ce402918c749f6a75da.jpg

81e24b73301d105a6f4428f8b834119a.jpg

c5d850052327de211a7d33354695bc02.jpg

b94263ce425b4c7a2594d82901a5ac37.jpg

b123c64e0f5bc096daa73a3d6766e156.jpg

b0a0bb7a7aaa598f5289a0f1957c9d70.jpg

64e295b59805cc90e9575df4086ceb4f.jpg

4b00047ff12c12191f149660eaeae09f.jpg

37f2ea254b5b8ca003a70d0fd50a9f30.jpg

26f83b8e827a7342b713e5d650e1c96d.jpg

08be906597234cb1ce5e8d5dee1d478e.jpg

I know the pictures might be the same or boring but thought the sun was out so I'd take some more :) really happy with it got a few more plans, nothing major but more just tidying bits up to get it mint.

Just stunning. What a gorgeous colour.(i might be wrong but I think this colour has been discontinued by BMW, I have not seen it since the E46.)

How is the difference in noise between this and your 330? 

Looking nice mate, when are the euro tips going on? Also noticed your lower front grill has been pushed back slightly.

Thanks mate. I've decided against the Euro tips for now. Yeah I think someone hit something as the clips are broken and the bottom of the bumper is bent up. Needs a new bumper and grill tbh.

[quote post=925434"

timestamp="1491599360" name="MrWhite] Just stunning. What a gorgeous colour.(i might be wrong but I think this colour has been discontinued by BMW, I have not seen it since the E46.)

How is the difference in noise between this and your 330? 

Thanks mate. I'm not 100% tbh. The noise is incredible, once you get up the revs it's incredible !! So much louder than my 330. Live the rasp. Just miss induction noise.

Hi

Looking for a bit of help, when I turn the ignition off I get a strange noise as though a bearings gone but it's only when I turn the engine off. Don't get nothing whilst driving. Sounds like either the fan or one of the belts and maybe one of the pulleys.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Video of said noise

IMG_7328

On 05/04/2017 at 22:27, Brad smith said:

So began fitting my eibach springs. Wow what a nightmare. Thought it would be fairly straight forward. The rears (which should be easiest) I struggled to get the spring in. They are actually larger than the originals is this right ? Also I couldn't put the bottom rubber in due to it being too big to go in the bottom of the spring, so I've had to put the top one on the bottom and nothing on the top. I'm not happy with it being like this tbh. So could anyone advise ? Struggled for ages with the front passenger side, strut didn't want to come out the hub. Finally got it in then cross threaded the drop link bolt. Managed to sort that. Then when tightening the bolts on the top of the strut I've now managed to crack the strut brace. So need a new one of those.

It seems to be sitting very low for eibachs which is what's making me worry a little bit that the rears aren't right. Soon as I've done the other side tomorrow will be getting full alignment done.

Hopefully pics tomorrow

Sounds to me like you didn't unbolt both shock bolts and didn't have the rear end fully up? If one side is still connected it is hard to push to the spring perch down fully so you can insert the spring with the pads in its rightful place. If you every do replace both springs you need to undo both sides.

Gave the inside a full wet vac including taking the seats out, and also done the seats.

f32577b63b729a9c16fbefeb4042c571.jpg

973f8c1d66d032b92106f94fbbd599c4.jpg

Was really clean...not

350c67eeddfa2b1c48d052ae7cf4bba1.jpg

Finished

77388db00a6901998dc78d55cf722407.jpg

Hopefully upcoming will be

New bumper

New centre console

New steering wheel trim

Full stormworks kit

New headlight lenses

New side indicator lenses

New side grill m badges

Just read through this thread, cracking car Brad! 

How are you finding the SMG box day to day? Seriously considering one of these in a few years once I've sorted the house out!

Thanks mate ! I'm impressed with the smg. Yes it has its faults it can be a bit jerky on old start, but once warm and you get it on a nice long country road, and use the paddles the smg is awesome. I personally wouldn't swap it and I definitely don't miss manual tbh. I'd definitely recommend getting yourself an m3, live up to the hype and so much fun. You won't regret it that's for sure, and really won't lose too much if any money.