Robotson

330ci randomly not starting. Not battery!

My '03 330ci has just started to randomly not start. Its not the battery, because when it doesn't start, it isn't making that loud ticking noise (I've had failed batteries in e46s several times!). All the lights come on, everything is normal, but when you turn the key all the way to ignition, nothing happens - no ticking, no start-up motor noise, nothing! Everything just remains the same, almost as if you haven't even tried to start it. 

I was sat in a car park trying to get it to start, and eventually it did after I got out and locked and then unlocked it. Another time yesterday it also started when I pressed the brake at the same time, but I assume that was a coincidence. 

I'm dreading that its something to do with the immobiliser system (as in the OEM one). As when I changed the battery in my old e46's key, and the car then didn't recognise that old key, that car also wouldn't start in the very same way! 

might have somethi g to do with the key fob battery,the codes get reset ,so i assume it could be immoboliser not getting code until you use key.

On 5/18/2017 at 06:45, rasa said:

might have somethi g to do with the key fob battery,the codes get reset ,so i assume it could be immoboliser not getting code until you use key.

Hmm. But half the time it just starts immediately as if there is no problem at all. 

So far I've tried both keys, and the issue is identical with both, so that leads me to believe it can't be to do with the key(s). 

I cleaned both keys with electrical cleaner and tried again - and still the same issue. 

I don't think it can be the starter motor because like I said, half the time it starts immediately. 

So now I'm thinking ignition switch or ignition barrel? 

I'll get the RAC out on it this week to hopefully diagnose it. 

even just a slight dodgy connection to starter can cause problems,also the inside/bushes can get worn and cause problems,id get starter checked,meliminate causes to find the rrot cause,always better than replacing oparts to find it.

8 hours ago, rasa said:

even just a slight dodgy connection to starter can cause problems,also the inside/bushes can get worn and cause problems,id get starter checked,meliminate causes to find the rrot cause,always better than replacing oparts to find it.

There are bushes for the starter motor? Weird. I'm gonna call the RAC out as I get free breakdown with my insurance, hopefully they'll be able to diagnose it. 

16 hours ago, Robotson said:

There are bushes for the starter motor? Weird. I'm gonna call the RAC out as I get free breakdown with my insurance, hopefully they'll be able to diagnose it. 

sorry not exactly bushes,but the electrical componenets,i was having a senior moment and thinking of alternator..

AA reckon it's the starter motor. Of course when they arrived it stated first time every time! 😂 But he said those symptoms are most likely to mean the starter. As the key is starting the fuel pump every time even when the car doesn't start. 

Eurocarparts are doing a sale this weekend luckily, so I got a new one for £50 rather than £80.

On 5/17/2017 at 13:04, Robotson said:

My '03 330ci has just started to randomly not start. Its not the battery, because when it doesn't start, it isn't making that loud ticking noise (I've had failed batteries in e46s several times!). All the lights come on, everything is normal, but when you turn the key all the way to ignition, nothing happens - no ticking, no start-up motor noise, nothing! Everything just remains the same, almost as if you haven't even tried to start it. 

I was sat in a car park trying to get it to start, and eventually it did after I got out and locked and then unlocked it. Another time yesterday it also started when I pressed the brake at the same time, but I assume that was a coincidence. 

I'm dreading that its something to do with the immobiliser system (as in the OEM one). As when I changed the battery in my old e46's key, and the car then didn't recognise that old key, that car also wouldn't start in the very same way! 

So in the end.. it wasn't the starter motor. It was just the bloody key failing! £80 for a repair from a lovely polish bloke called Greg from http://bmw-key-replacement.com/ . Highly recommend them for any key/EWS/immobiliser/DME/ECU issues. 

Got all the little niggles fixed on the car now and its a joy to drive :)

Next just going to get it de-tinted as I'm not a fan of the black rear windows, and then just have a little scrape on the rear bumper to get resprayed.