DennisCooper

New - AVIN 3 all in one Replacement E46 head unit

Hi all,

A new E46 specific all in one replacement type head unit will soon be available and may be of interest to those on this forum. The aesthetic design is much more accurate and looks oem to an extent far far better than all the chinese units available to now. Given that the E46 audio is shared with the E39/E38/E53 cars, the Avin product pages show DSP and OBC support on their respective pages, but that info is missing on the E46 page. I'll assume for now that the OBC is supported for the E46 unit, there wasn't DSP available for the E46 though.

Here's the product page 

https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-3-series-e46-m3-android-multimedia-navigation-system.html

The main issue will of course be the price. It's listed at $699 USD for the USA market which is where AVIN are based. Anyone in the UK who'll be wanting one will need to import in and although the shipping is 'free' to the UK, once all taxes,VAT and clearance fees are included then I'd say a landed in the UK price would be around the £700 level. The extension cable is $60, and the USB dongle for an app to put your Android or iPhone screen onto the Avin screen is another $99. The reversing camera is $149,  DVB-T Digital TV module another $99. If those options are added, then the price goes to around $1100 USD and the UK price landed is around £1075-1100. 

The above prices are based around the current US Dollar to UK Pound exchange rate.

It's the best looking unit so far, very close to the OEM monitor itself, all the chinese units until now were way off in my opinion. If the OBC support in the E46 unit is there like the other family ones then that's a bonus for sure. On the flipside, it's very expensive and it's still a cheaply made unit using low grade/generic grade electronics. Once released, time will tell if it's a much more reliable unit or not along with if there's any technical issues/problems etc especially when integrating with the BMW systems for OBC/DSP/PDC features that the company claims to have included.

Cheers, Dennis!

Well it certainly looks OEM (i.e. the buttons are very very similar to OEM) - but at over a thousand pounds for what is, lets face it, essentially the same as the Chinese units with different buttons and the ability to host Android Auto / CarPlay is a bit on the excessive side. I can't even claim you'd get better service and support as if there's a fault you'll be having to ship back to America rather than China/UK Reseller.

My own suspicion is that this is an Intel Sofia based unit, probably built in China and shipped out to the States. I wonder if it can be found on Aliexpress... Willing to be proved wrong though!

Also I can't find any specifications on the unit at all - processor/memory/onboard storage/expansion options (usb/sd etc)/inputs and outputs.

On the face of it, a solid contender, but would be much, much more tempting at half the price.

Edited by dontpannic

4 hours ago, dontpannic said:

My own suspicion is that this is an Intel Sofia based unit, probably built in China and shipped out to the States. I wonder if it can be found on Aliexpress... Willing to be proved wrong though!

Yeah there is lots of Sofia based units listed on Aliexpress  all around the $200 mark.

Looks the part but as you said £1000 is a joke