Sam

Subframe Issues

Its fairly common on the early E46's. So i thought i'd make a sticky, so newbies can find it easier.

This is to do with the rear subframe cracking/splitting on the E46's.

BMW know of this problem, they even have documentation for it, but still sometimes deny its a manufacturing problem and try to get owners to cough up the money.

There are "fix kits" which are basically sheets that get welded to the subframe, but ideally you want it all replaced.

I've personally had this problem and BMW fixed it for free 100%. Apparently at a cost to them of £2500.

Here is the BMW PDF

Please post if you have had the problem, letting us know the details, if BMW paid etc..

Member Phantom Mark has written a DIY if you choose to fix this issue yourself: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14652

1999 v reg 323ci E46 coupe

ripped subframe mount clean from floor

BMW paid 100% of repair cost once i had proof of other people having same problem and being paid out

also had to have full service history

becareful tho im sure theres a 10 yr /300000 miles clause

Im absolutely flabbergasted !!

Unbelievable, I will be checking mine over very carefully whilst I fit the new suspension.

Mate

Yours should be alright as I believe that this only effected early 323's and 328's iirc.

last count on E46fanatics:

By Model

323i 24

323ci 52

323iT 1

325i 1

325ci 3

328i 47

328ci 64

330i 1

330ci 4

320D 1

m3 5

By Year

NA 10

1999 46

2000 134

2001 6

2002 6

2003 1

2004 1

Total 206

I am honestly speechless about this........not actually looking forward to looking at mine, I think I would have felt a problem like this tho when driving, or clunks from rear end etc.

bought car from an auction

diff mount had been ripped clean out,

paid an indy to sort it out cost 300 quid and they welded a plate in for me.

been great ever since

2000 318ci

Where exactly should we be looking for this ?

Does it just affect some older cars?

There is a vid up there dude, I've not looked myself yet, kinda dont want to!!

Think is by the shocks.

if you are stood underneath the car as if you've walked under it from the rear, facing the front and the nearside wheel is on your left,

then you should look in the area of the coil spring and slightly to the right,

there is a mounting bracket with a big bolt through it, and if the area round this

is cracked, you have a problem. (well that was my case anyway)

if you are stood underneath the car as if you've walked under it from the rear, facing the front and the nearside wheel is on your left,

then you should look in the area of the coil spring and slightly to the right,

there is a mounting bracket with a big bolt through it, and if the area round this

is cracked, you have a problem. (well that was my case anyway)

Thanks mate, i'll have a look tomorrow, car already up in the air a sim in the middle of removing the brake calipers and arms for painting!!

I checked mine the other day, think it looks ok, (if I'm looking in the right place!)

i have had this problem but never new about all this till after i looked on the net my machinc was wounding how this happened and how i had done it as his seen me do a few stang thing to cars 2 gearbox in 2 month being one of them

i think he plated it and welded from the inside of my boot cost me £200 a month after buying the car

Ouch :rolleyes:

I had mine checked out last week. The mechanic said yes it was a problem, especially with the older E46s, but that it was actually quite a rare problem. Luckily mine was fine. I was worried because I sometimes get a deep THUD when changing from 1st to 2nd and thought that might be it.

My first post here and unfortunately not a positive one:

DSC00016-1.jpg

This is the current stage on my 2000 328ci.

Take it to BMW complaining of a loose back end etc. They should tell you its the subframe and offer to fix 100%. thats what happened to me.

If they blame something else, drop a hint your local mechanic said its the sub frame.Then argue it for free!

Good luck

lets hope they sort it out!!

Is not really your problem if their product falls apart in such a drastic way!