royal29

318 Ci Remap

hi everyone,

i am new to this site so please bare with me. i have recently purchased a 2005 318ci m sport. to be honest i was fairly gutted i didnt go for a bigger engined e46 as i very quickly found the 318 very gutless especially around town and lower in the revs. My dad, being a bmw owner for many years suggested maybe getting a remap and recommended BWTUNUNG in hounslow just outside london. I was un sure as i had heard that the normally aspirated engines were hard to get big gains from so was it really worth the money it would cost? I phoned BWTUNING anyway and spoke to jason, he was very informative and convinced me that i would definately benifit from the remap. With this i was booked in and travelled to there workshop. I was offered different options fore the remap and in the end went for more lower end power and better fuel economy. I was taken out once the remap was done by jason and was pleasently surprised with how it felt on the drive, immedietly it felt smoother around town and more responsive. when i drove it it did feel different, it is far from being a fast car but is a real improvement and no longer feels a chore to drive, i feel it was definately money well spent. Also on the drive back home i drove it fairly hard on the motor way, and the fuel economy was actually better then the journey up when i was taking it easy! So to anyone with a 318 and thinking of a remap i would say as long as your not expecting miricals, the remap has definately improved my driving experience with a smoother ride, improved throttle response and better fuel economy. I hope this has been informative for you.

cheers

steve.

Good post royal29, Ive been thinking of remapping my 318 ci m sport convertible as its pretty poor on pull off up till about 3000 revs, My brother in law works for AP Tunning in Kent and lucky enough his only going to charge me £100.00 which is the cost of the map, fingers crossed I will see a noticable difference, not expecting 330 speed's but any improvement will an improvement especially at lower revs.

is this for the N42 2.0 16v engine or the 1.9 M43 8v? 2005 is the 2.0 isn't it? I've got an M43 1.9 and have just had a the cam reprofiled and it has made a noticeable difference from 3k to the red line. the benefit of a single camshaft engine I guess is that the reprofile cost me half what a remap would cost and changing the cam will actually allow the engine to take more air and therefore fuel and get rid of the exhaust quicker. The limitation with remapping an NA engine is this physical limitation. If you are interested in getting a bit more power from the 318 it may be a good way to go, i have no idea about cam profiles for the 16v engine and how much there is to gain but the M43 is pretty lazy compared to 1.9 litre 8v 4 pots from other manufacturers such as peugeot use in the 205 GTI so I just went up to the durations that those engines have or can be tuned to. I haven't done many miles in it but all seems well at the moment.

is this for the N42 2.0 16v engine or the 1.9 M43 8v? 2005 is the 2.0 isn't it? I've got an M43 1.9 and have just had a the cam reprofiled and it has made a noticeable difference from 3k to the red line. the benefit of a single camshaft engine I guess is that the reprofile cost me half what a remap would cost and changing the cam will actually allow the engine to take more air and therefore fuel and get rid of the exhaust quicker. The limitation with remapping an NA engine is this physical limitation. If you are interested in getting a bit more power from the 318 it may be a good way to go, i have no idea about cam profiles for the 16v engine and how much there is to gain but the M43 is pretty lazy compared to 1.9 litre 8v 4 pots from other manufacturers such as peugeot use in the 205 GTI so I just went up to the durations that those engines have or can be tuned to. I haven't done many miles in it but all seems well at the moment.

I have a N46B20 138 bhp, 4 cylinder.... which option would you recoomend, remapping or cam reprofiled.

Cheers

Mark

i wont lie to you, i have no idea of the cam profiles of your engine so i can't make a recommendation, but essentially you can only get more power from an engine by allowing it to do more of what it does (suck, bang, blow) (or do these steps more efficiently), to a large extent the scope to improve this is limited by the physical shape and size of component of the engine (i.e. exhaust and intake manifold, capacity of engine and camshaft profile to name but a few),

so unless you can change some of these things the gains available will be very limited (and a remap on an naturally aspirated engine doesn't change these physical limitations). On cars with turbos (such as diesels) the turbo can be 'told' to put more air into the cylinders by remapping (since it is responsible for compressing the air prior to it being shoved in for burning (the suck bit - although i guess its more of a blow than a suck, but you get the idea), this is why you get significant gains in these engines from a remap, i.e. you are actually getting a significantly larger amount of air into the engine.

To get a non-turbo engine to develop a noticeable increase in power you need to make a physical change to allow it to do this, increasing the cam duration and/or increasing valve lift allows the engine to get more in and out and therefore develop more power. However there is a trade off as the power is not increased throughout the rev range but instead just a portion of it.

Apart from very common engines for tuning there seems to be a very limited amount of info about cam profiles so you need to have a look about if you're serious about it.

I read a thread on edition38 about a guy with a 1.6 engine in a 106 which was developing 180 or so brake which isn't bad but like i said you might want to undertand your engine a bit really before going down that route.

i wont lie to you, i have no idea of the cam profiles of your engine so i can't make a recommendation, but essentially you can only get more power from an engine by allowing it to do more of what it does (suck, bang, blow) (or do these steps more efficiently), to a large extent the scope to improve this is limited by the physical shape and size of component of the engine (i.e. exhaust and intake manifold, capacity of engine and camshaft profile to name but a few),

so unless you can change some of these things the gains available will be very limited (and a remap on an naturally aspirated engine doesn't change these physical limitations). On cars with turbos (such as diesels) the turbo can be 'told' to put more air into the cylinders by remapping (since it is responsible for compressing the air prior to it being shoved in for burning (the suck bit - although i guess its more of a blow than a suck, but you get the idea), this is why you get significant gains in these engines from a remap, i.e. you are actually getting a significantly larger amount of air into the engine.

To get a non-turbo engine to develop a noticeable increase in power you need to make a physical change to allow it to do this, increasing the cam duration and/or increasing valve lift allows the engine to get more in and out and therefore develop more power. However there is a trade off as the power is not increased throughout the rev range but instead just a portion of it.

Apart from very common engines for tuning there seems to be a very limited amount of info about cam profiles so you need to have a look about if you're serious about it.

I read a thread on edition38 about a guy with a 1.6 engine in a 106 which was developing 180 or so brake which isn't bad but like i said you might want to undertand your engine a bit really before going down that route.

Well thats certainly some food for thought, I will certainly look in to get more suck, bang, blow, ie better air filter , exhaust and manifold maybe.

Appreciate you info, cheers Mark