Tanky

318I N42 Inlet Manifold Area Rattle!help!

Ive just cut and pasted this topic (FROM 3 YRS AGO) as there was no definitive answer. The symptoms are exactly the same. loss of power, lumpy idle, and a severe rattle under the inlet manifold, I have had the manifold off and cleaned up what can only be describe as looking like the enterprise off of startrek!! containing a rubber diaphram, spring and a small wheel with impellor vains.

I have replaced crankshaft sensors had codes reset, and replaced what looks like a foam covered pipe which comes over the top of the inlet manifold, like a recirculation vaccume hose or something.

Am I right in saying that the N42 2ltr engine does not have a DISA valve,as this is what I have been informed, neither does it have a vanos

Just to inform anyone, My exhaust has just started to blow as well at the front from under a heat shield where it forks from two to one. could this cause anyof the above problems?

thanks in advance

Leigh

cheers Wash, got it diagnose today by an ex BMW mechanic, ended up being the inlet manifold is shot, so Ive ordered one from BMW along with gaskets cost £363.16, managed to wangle a bit of discount, yep discount!!! its a back order as there are no inlet manifold in the UK, 5-7 days postage from Germany.The valve type bits in the manifold were flapping around, it came up with and exhaust cam sensor which it cant be as I have replaced both with no change, the uneven air flow through the inlet manifold caused it to throw up that fault. Got a few other little jobs to do as well the vaccume pump and tighten a clamp or two and been advise to change the rocker cover gasket. I will be a busy boy.

I shall update once fitted, fingers crossed it will sort it.

Fingers crossed DIDNT work, fault persisted, had it re-examined and it was the cham chain tensioner was knackered which caused the exhaust cam to jump 3 teeth and the inlet cam jumped 5 teeth, but to top that the upper chain guide had broke in two, making me a very lucky boy that I didnt blow the engine up. All running sweet now, :thumbsup: better than before, kept the new inlet manifold fitted as the old one was a little mucky inside. I also renewed a few induction pipes and the vacuum pump at the rear of the engine overhauled. An expensive month to say the least. :unsure: