Wils

Throttle Adaption Reset

For those with M54 M54 MS43 lumps under the bonnet with throttle drive by wire ( electronic ) and not by a cable there is a reset than can be made that may improve throttle response. This is typically done if a customer complains after an a new EDK is installed - allthough it should be done as part of the procedure anyway).

Its easy and quick just 20 seconds thats all !!

1 Place key in ignition and turn to detent 1 and count for 10 seconds ( only postion 1 do not start the engine. )

2.Turn key back to 0 postion and count for another 10 seconds

3.Now turn the key all the way to detent 3 to start the engine

Thats it your throttle is now reset. this can help to improve the cars throttle response. this little trick is always worth a go if you feel the car is a little sluggish or has been bought off someone who has just gone to the shops n back in thier BM. In theroy the throttle should now adapt slightly to your driving style

As far as I know all e46 models made after 2000 have drive by wire. I think they introduced it when they went from 323 and 328 to 325 and 330. Not sure if the 4-cyl engines got the update then or in 2002 though, when they did the facelift.

By Jove it works. Went down the town at lunch, so did the reset to my 03 320d, and it has definatly taken some lag out of the throttle. havnt driven it hard yet as was driving in town, but will see if it makes difference ont he dual carrageway on the way home.

Top tip that!!!!!!!!!! ;)

After resetting mine I drove about 80 miles of mixed motorway and A roads, its made a big difference to mine, pulls far better on the motorway now there is no lag. Plus it pulls away fom standstill much more positively and smoothly.

The best bit of advice Ive had in a while to improve my car, plus it was free, nice one Wils!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever cleaned their TB, and did it help? I know on VAG cars it needs doing avery so often, and it helps. I did the one on my MK4 Golf and it was minging!!!

I had my TB out the other day for a clean, but it wasn't too bad really. Just a bit of crud around the lip of where the butterfly sits. A good wipe around with some carbcleaner and it looked as good as new...

DSCF2730.jpg

DSCF2731.jpg

(These are before shots, obviously)

Great tip by the way, I'll try this out before I head off to work in the morning!

Rich

I had to clean mine out on my VAG, i had a 1.8T golf mk4. It ran so much better once it was cleaned out, pulled much more smoothly when pulling away from junctions etc.

Simple enough task with just a can of carb cleaner, some old rags and a few cotton buds. Just had to take care not to soak the electronics in the TB.