starkie7

Silver carbon cube trim

Never liked my black cube trim, too dark with black paint, black leather, black carpet and black headlining. Had plain silver trim in for a while but got bored with it and wanted something different. Tried gloss red which I loved but couldn't get the finish good enough to be acceptable so had a play with the cube trim.

vk1b.jpg
q1d.jpg

m7v7.jpg

Really brings out the cube texture, looks like new to be honest.

Would still prefer gloss red.

I've often thought about this mod. My car is a sparkling graphite metallic with black leather and the black cube trim and although I don't hate it, it is a little dark. I have a titanium Storm gear knob and handbrake cover so was thinking perhaps a titanium type colour... hmmm...

I've often thought about this mod. My car is a sparkling graphite metallic with black leather and the black cube trim and although I don't hate it, it is a little dark. I have a titanium Storm gear knob and handbrake cover so was thinking perhaps a titanium type colour... hmmm...

This.

As you know, I have the same combo. I have been looking for a colour close to the storm titanium for 8 months now to do exactly this! Still not found anything that has a purple enough tinge. I *will* wrap/spray my trim as soon as I find the right colour!

Each thread I see like this, where someone has done a top job, makes me more confident to do it myself. Well done, looks good :thumbsup:

Edited by JasonKruys

This.

As you know, I have the same combo. I have been looking for a colour close to the storm titanium for 8 months now to do exactly this! Still not found anything that has a purple enough tinge. I *will* wrap/spray my trim as soon as I find the right colour!

Each thread I see like this, where someone has done a top job, makes me more confident to do it myself. Well done, looks good :thumbsup:

And when you've found that colour and done a top job on yours I'll send you mine to do ;)

Give it a bash, really is a piece of cake to get a good finish. If you don't like the colour or finish a quick wipe with cellulose thinners will take it off back to new.

Apparently there is a bloke nearby in Poole that does a pretty good job ;)

I will definitely give it a go, just so indecisive on the colour. The Storm titanium plate is a dark gunmetal colour that (on mine at least) seems to have a tint of purple!

Really like the way you done your trim. High quality work.
I am planning to do my one as well, and currently doing my research on the process of spray painting the trims.
Another guy from this forum suggested to first clean the trim, then apply few coats of primer and then few layers of satin black paint. Is your method quiet similar to this? Also should I put a coat of lacquer after spray painting?
Thank you in advance,
Paul

Personally I wouldn't do too many layers as it reduces the cube 3D effect. On my first try I used primer but found it lost the 3D effect so I went straight on with titanium silver. A few months later and the only blemish is on the passenger door but apparently my wife didn't do it even though she is the only person who has sat in the seat! A few people have suggested giving it a light sand but that seems totally wrong to me as it has deliberate texture to it.

BMW titanium silver spray paint in a can ??? - Yep

Going straight over black with silver may have the effect of coming out a darker silver than you anticipated.

Wish I could fined a set of trim in light ash,mine had originally ,my interior is all black , put carbon in as it had brown wood by last owner,still too dark,also getting prices to diamond panel seat pads and do double red stitch to liven I yup