quackers

If you're stuck re-installing BMTechnics software

Try this (but you must be past the activation stage first)

Some caveats:-
It involves a registry key being added. This is potentially dangerous to your system. Though it's quite straightforward.
I'm using Windows 8 (on a Mac actually) so it may be different for other Windows versions - though I suspect not.

I had already run the BMT installer and installed the cable software and inpa and tried to install VMWare but it wouldn't run as it wants to be downloaded through BMT's site which is not now possible..
I downloaded and installed VMWare Player 6 from the VMWare site.
Running the BMT installer it would not let me progress to install DIS as it recognised that another version of VM was installed and insisted on me uninstalling that blah, blah.

So I googled for a while and came up with a couple of registry tweaks and the added efforts of both of these have allowed the installation of DIS to go ahead. And it works on my car

Press Windows key + R and the run dialogue window will open.
Type in regedit and press enter
In the window that opens navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
Wow6432Node
BMTechnic
v4

expand that (click on the little arrow) and you should see Inpa folder already there.

Right-click on v4 and select New --> key and in the little new box type in VMP and hit enter.
Left click to highlight that new key and in the right pane underneath the entry Default right-click and select New --> DWORD(32 bit) Value [i'm on 64 bit but still used that one] and in the new entry that appears type in Installed and hit enter.
Double click on that entry and in the box that opens up change the value from 0 to 1 then click OK.

Close the window.

Now you'll need to change the IP address of the vmnet1 Ethernet adapter to 192.168.68.1 in network settings in control panel.

Now the installer should acknowledge that VMWare is installed and allow you to select install DIS in the installer window.

Once that's done open VMWare Player and import the virtual machine - which is in c:\virtualmachines\dis

That's it, you're done.

N.B.
If you're using a 32 bit version of Windows you will find that the BMTechnic folder in the registry is at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
BMTechnic
v4

ie no Wow6432Node folder, as this is what allows 32bit stuff to work on a 64bit system.

Please be aware that any mistake in navigating the Windows registry and entering something wrong will cause some serious damage. Be very careful!!!
If you're not comfortable don't do it or get someone who is comfortable to do it for you.

Either way you should backup the registry before you start!

Edited by quackers

There is no way I know of to get around the activation issue.

Hopefully it still works on the other computer.

Cheers for the reply quackers yea it still works on my other computer was worth a try to swop it over

did you try installing software on other laptopfrom bmtechnic dvd ?

i have got the bmtehnic software which i bought when they were selling it on dvd-if i want install it on a second laptop,will i need an activation code or not?

There is no way I know of to get around the activation issue.

Hopefully it still works on the other computer.

Cheers for the reply quackers yea it still works on my other computer was worth a try to swop it over

was your bmtechnic software on dvd or usb stick?

I worked out that BMTechnic activation depends a lot on the DeviceID of the hard drive you originally installed it onto.

This is the DeviceID, not the volume serial number. The volume serial number you can change easily. There are a couple of free utilities around which allow you to set the volume serial number to whatever you want. What I can't work out how to do is change the DeviceID for the hard drive.

You can copy the BMTechnic files to a new hard drive and continue to use the software but the old hard drive will have to be installed into the machine as a secondary drive for the new copy of the software to work.

I tried monitoring launch.exe using Process Monitor from sysinternals but when launch.exe runs it generates about 27,000 events so it's difficult to work out what it is checking on startup to determine whether or not activation has already taken place. There is a section in the windows registry for a 3rd party security software which is hidden away in a dark little corner of the registry, you see launch.exe refer to this when monitoring the process.

So some other ideas worth further investigation are to see if attaching the old hard drive via USB external drive caddy to the new machine would work. I've been doing this all with the same machine so not sure if the BMTechnic software depends on other devices such as processorID or network card MAC address. Secondly, trying to work out where BMTechnic stores the information about the hardware IDs would be a good one to pin down.

There is a piece of software called pbdownforce which gamers use to circumvent hardware bans when playing online games, it can temporarily change hardwareIDs and I've found I can literally turn on and turn off the BMTechnic activation requirement by enabling and disabling 'spoofing' - Along the same sort of lines if I disable the old hard drive in Device Manager activation is required when the drive is disabled, not required when the device is enabled.

So basically, if you have this installed on an old machine then it should be easy enough to move it to a new machine if you can work out what deviceIDs the software is looking for and how to replicate them on the new machine.

Presumably somewhere stored in the registry or some file on the disk there is a list of deviceID's that launch.exe checks before it will start the software. If you could edit that list so it matches your current machine you'd have total portability of the software. I'm guessing the reason I've not yet managed to find this list of hardware IDs is down to the fact that they probably encrypted them. But there is always the option of meeting this problem from the other side by changing the deviceIDs in Windows to match what BMTechnic is looking for. I have found lots of registry entries for the deviceID for my hard disk but I don't know if they are part of the Windows configuration or if they are the BMTechnic IDs that I'm looking for.

I suppose with hindsight there would have been enormous benefit to having installed this on a virtual machine. After doing that the VM files could be moved to wherever you want with the virtuialised hardware providing generic IDs which would be the same whichever machine you loaded the VM onto.

The BMTechnic software was pretty awesome so it's a real shame he shut down the business. I'm not sure how many people bought it but now there must be so many people out there unable to activate the software!

I've got my configuration working fine now. Currently have 3 installations all working on two different computers. You just never know when something might happen to one of these old machines which knocks it out for good. Both are 10 year old XP machines.

A final thought might be to interrogate the installation exe rather than the launch.exe - both require activation but both work if the machine has already been activated. The theory goes that the installation file running on a new machine performs a more rudimentary check for activation and it might be possible to fool that exe easier than it is to fool the launch.exe

Launch.exe is checking for a fully active system, probably dependent on more than just one deviceID. The installer file wouldn't know about any deviceIDs until after the installation is complete.

Anyway, more fiddling tomorrow I think.

Bm technic software is now asking me for an activation code. I had installed it previously on a another laptop but swapped out the hardrive that had the installation to a new laptop. Any way to work around the activation?

Answered in pm but for others no, I never found a way around the problem, but I also sold the 330 so didn't need the software any more anyway.

However I'm now looking for an M3 so will probably just buy other software.

Found a solution to this there is a guy online who supplies the online activation code. I am now up and running.

Interesting. There was a guy who said he could do that (for a price) but as I'd sold the Beemer I didn't follow up.

Also interesting as the server that checks these things (at BMT) is supposedly turned off.

Very happy to hear you're up and running again though.

How much did it cost please?