Dave330

02 330ci with HK - Have I bought the right aux cable?

Hi all

New to the site, and to BMW ownership. Having come from a 2000 Volvo C70 with the (unbelievable) optional Alpine/Dynaudio Dolby system, by comparison I am a bit underwhelmed by the HK kit in my 02 330. I wanted to run my phone into the (cassette) HU, so that I stop relying on the awful tape adaptor I've been using. Thinking I had the right idea (as it's a May 2002 car), I went and ordered one of the below from Amazon - I was ordering something else and it was cheap, so nothing ventured and all that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YQUQ5QS

Have I bought the right thing? The photo seems to be showing the correct earlier HU connector, but it also says that it caters for all E46 models, which surely can't be right?

Also, looking at the 'how to' videos, I'm wondering if there's a way to install this without dismantling the entire dash/gearshift area? I'm all for a bit of DIY, but the interior feels really sturdy at the moment, and I'm acutely aware that things seldom go back together as well as they were originally...

Cheers!

RoryW is the man in the know. I spend far too much money on them as I keep braking them and also take up too much of his time!

It looks right, you need to get the stereo out, it goes back together well.

Edited by Sam

Thanks for that. I guess I'll just need to try and find a route for the cable which doesn't involve me pulling apart all the panels around the gearshift. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Sam. Do either of those require the amount of dismantling that the video guides suggest? I pulled most of the dash apart on my Volvo to fit a aux-in box of tricks (even drilling holes in the glovebox), but I would rather not disturb what feels like a solid dash in the new car.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the ashtray mount is the one that requires the shifter surround etc. to be removed?

I took the air vents and stereo off to do the glove box one. You can just get your hand into the void. I'd try feeding the cable from the glovebox (the hydraulic opener) first, then grab the cable behind it.

I've only done the ashtray on my Z4, but it was easy.