Tamworthbay

Very slow water loss, where's it going?

My 1.9 is losing water slowly. The coolant will go from full to empty in about 2-300miles. The expansion tank and cap have been replaced very recently. When I open the cap there is the whoosh noise to suggest a vacuum. There are no visible leaks. I have access to a pressure test kit but haven't tried it yet. 

Any suggestions guys? And when I pressure test the system what would it tell me if it holds/loses pressure?

You went from very slowly to slowly to all coolant gone in 300 miles!  Mine gets through it slowly, but it's more like 1cm on the stick in a few thousand miles.

When it's been standing are there any puddles under the car?  Do you have any other symptoms like white smoke, overheating..  if so it could be the head gasket but hopefully not.  Most garages can do a sniff test to test for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

On the 1.9 there is a plastic connector on the back of the cylinder head that leaks coolant. It's very common I've changed it on mine. 

You can't see the part without s mirror and a light. But you can reach down and feel it

Is it this one on ebay: 

Sorry I can't do a direct link but I bought a pile of s**te otherwise known as a Samsung galaxy and for some reason known only to the idiot who programmed my one it will not copy ebay links.

As for white smoke etc, there is nothing. Temp is spot on and was still on the one occasion the coolant light came on. No puddles on the drive or on the undertray. It also makes a nice whoosh noise as you take off the cap, suggesting there is a decent vacuum in the system.  The rate of loss is slow, I have seen cars pee out their entire contents in a couple of miles before. A problem with the part above would make sense as a small leak there would probably just be evaporated off by the engine heat.

If it is it is only two bolts but I am guessing thy are a pain to get to. Any tips? Or any further suggestions as to possible problems.

Strange as I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (had Samsung phone over the years) never had a problem sharing link.

Go to ebay, click share, copy to clipboard, go to where you want to post link, long press and select paste. Easy.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

1 hour ago, feva said:

Lol, if only life with this crap was 'easy'. It has several quirks including a spell checker that replaces English words spelt correctly with utter gibberish. It has been back several times and I get lots of shrugs and 'ooohhhh,mine doesn't do that sir' etcetc, as I type it is doing another of its tricks and making me press the space bar twice to get a space. As soon as I get paid next I am buying another ioad and using this as a jack pad when I next lift the car up. First, and definately, the last Samsung I will ever buy.

11 hours ago, feva said:

I'll have to have a look at one of these ioads emoji23.png

The irony.

I know! I have to remember to read everything I write as it makes no sense first time around, funny that I should miss that one. And why change ipad to ioad I will never know, but it does far weirder ones. It's almost like it has a foreign dictionary from some long lost language. 

11 hours ago, feva said: I'll have to have a look at one of these ioads [emoji23]

The irony.

I know! I have to remember to read everything I write as it makes no sense first time around, funny that I should miss that one. And why change ipad to ioad I will never know, but it does far weirder ones. It's almost like it has a foreign dictionary from some long lost language. 

Download SwiftKey from the playstore best keyboard on the market and its free.