crookesey

Style 63 Alloys - X5. Topics Merged 02/09/2016

Ive realised x5 wheels look amazing on black saloons so i may try getting some but what tyre size is ok would the wheels come straight off an x5 and go straight on my car and look right ? Ive seen i need spacers to clear the suspension

They do indeed, tyre size depends on how much stretch you want, 245/35/19 is a good size to help save the arches but if you want some stretch you could go to 235/35/19 on the rear and 225/35/19 on the front not sure how this would look though

I personally run 245/35/19 rear and 235/35/19 front although I have a coupe and they have more room that saloons in the rear arches

Wheels will come straight off the X5 and with a set of the above tyres the rears go straight on but may rub on the inside arch, in which case a 5mm spacer is needed (+ longer bolts) but this will not be hubcentric with a locating lip so will increase the stress put on the wheelbolts as they will be used to help centre the wheel, its better to fit a 10mm hubcentric with a locating lip. The problem with this is that it will then hit the outer arch, to solve this you can roll the arches but when 4 up or under load it will still catch the arch, to solve the arch needs to be pulled/slightly redesigned due to the width of the wheels and ET35 offset (ET45 from factory + 10mm spacer).

On the front the wheel will need a 5mm spacer to clear the shock/spring but the above problem applies, here though fitting a 15mm spacer (+ locking bolts) is best IMO as it gives the best look, some have fitted a 20mm spacer and got away with it. If the car is lowered on coilovers then a 15mm spacer is minimum to clear the coilover unit, the front tyres will rub the arch liner on full lock if you use 235/35/19 but this is not a massive problem unless you drive your car hard, however if you do you wouldnt buy X5 wheels as they weigh a ton :P

Any more questions/thoughts please feel free to ask, I have X5 wheels on my car and this is my third set so I have tried a few combinations

HTH

i have x5 claws on my coupe and i love them. but since lowering the car i will need to change the rear spacers to 5mm. 10mm still causes rubbing but not on the tyre but on the lip of the rim :( that with load in boot.

At the moment i have 20mm spacers on front with 225/35/19 and 10mm spacers on rear with 235/35/19

Heres a picture of the rear with a 30mm drop and as you can see not much gap with 10mm and no load in boot.

lowm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

heres a picture of a saloon i found on google hmmm B)

silverpj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Will Lam

I ran 5mm spacers on the rear with 235/35s on and 20mm spacers on the front with 215/35s,droped on coilys with rolled rear arches.

CCE87368-607B-42A7-9283-D93AF67879B2-425

I'm just about to put a set of these on my 320cd, car has 35mm apex springs i believe all way round, have the fronts on already with no spacers dont seem to be rubbing with 225 35's on. Rears im not sure what spacers i will need, some people are saying 10mm then 8mm then 5mm. What do you reckon? Will i need defferent spacing with it being a coupe?

I'm just about to put a set of these on my 320cd, car has 35mm apex springs i believe all way round, have the fronts on already with no spacers dont seem to be rubbing with 225 35's on. Rears im not sure what spacers i will need, some people are saying 10mm then 8mm then 5mm. What do you reckon? Will i need defferent spacing with it being a coupe?

i had 10mm with 235 on apex and it was rubbing and now i have 5mm and its prefect

Been offered some x5 tiger claws for a price I can't let go. They need tires so am gonna have to ask a few questions

The front wheels are 9j and the rears are 10j

So what size tires do I need for the front, for the rear, what spaces do I need for the front, for the rear.

Thanks in advance people

Am I best going for 5mm spaces on the rear just to give me that bit more clearance on it hitting the arches?

When you say hubcentric spacers, you mean the style that bolt into the hubs?

Daz has nailed it

5mm spacers are rubbish and IMO not worth the effort, 10mm are harder to fit but much better

The universal spacer you linked to AVOID AVOID AVOID

The 15mm spacer looks good although I would get some longer locking bolts too, 1 on each wheel is enough, Mcguard do a set (I have these on mine)

Hubcentric means central on the hub, ie when mounted the spacer sits completely central and allows the wheel which mounts to it to sit completely central also. To do this it uses a locating lip. It is impossible to get smaller than 10mm spacers with a lip for the 3 series as they cannot be made.

If you go for the universal spacer you are putting additional stress through the wheel bolts as they will be used to help centralise the wheel.