Aly

Occupancy Sensor Bypass Module Installation.

EDIT: I also feel the need to mention something that I came across on another forum!

An eBay member is selling these so called units but are made extremely badly.. I believe It's the same seller using my pictures in previous auctions..

Here are a couple of links...

http://forum.bmw5.co...393#entry674393

http://forum.e46fana...44#post14175944

The seller in question is...

airbagmodules & a3_thr

I hope that it's okay to do this, but feel the need to warn the public of this...

I would however recommend http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330695789403

Hi all...

Just thought I would do a little DIY on this. Although its very easy to do... :)

If you've had this problem you'll know how annoying it is to have a warning light on your dash! With this DIY I hope it will eliminate the dredded SRS Passenger seat Occupancy sensor.

Firstly make sure you've had a diagnosis done to determine that this is the actuall problem/fault.

Replacing the occupancy sensor mat is very costly and time consuming. But you can buy these Occupancy Sensor Bypass kits on E-Bay for less than £20.

This is the kit. FIG 1

Fig1.jpg

CAUTION - Do not fit to vehicles that carry a child seat in the front passenger seat

Tools required

1. Crimp Tool.

2. 2 zip ties.

3. 10mm Spanner or Socket (to disconnnect battery)

For the puropse of the DIY I removed the passenger seat, however this can be easily done without doing so.

1. Disconnect battery, using 10mm spanner/socket and leave to stand for 10 minutes.

2. Locate the Occupancy sensor control module under the passenger seat. This can be found towards the rear of the seat.

Please see FIG 2

Fig2.jpg

3. Unclip the control Module and lower to the floor giving better access to the black mulitplug.

4. Cut the Occupancy sensor wires just before they disappear into the seat base.

Please see FIG 3

Fig3.jpg

5. Strip the ends of the blue and white wires.

Please see FIG 4

Fig4.jpg

6. Now connect your new bypass module to the corresponding wires using the connectors and crimp tool.

Please see fig 5

Fig5.jpg

7. Re-connect the black multiplug (now with the bypass module attached) to the occupancy sensor module, and

re-attach the control module to the seat and fasten the bypass module using the cable ties.

Please see FIG 6

Fig6.jpg

8. Re-connect the battery using the 10mm spanner/socket.

9. You may need to clear the SRS code using a compatiable diagnostic equipment. (however I did not have to do this), and

hey presto the light should disappear.

Please see FIG 7

Fig7.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Property of Aly®

Edited by Aly

nice writeup mate, i did about week ago and it cleared the passenger occupancy detector error, but now shows belt tensioner firing mechanism error, can anyone shed any light on that? sorry dont mean to hijack the thread!

Good DIY considering this is a common fault. Thanks :thumbsup:

Might be worth mentioning if you sell the car though, or worth investigating if your buying a used car.

Does anyone know how much you should look to pay to get it diagnosed on a machine (to see if this IS the cause of your airbag light)

And how much it costs to clear?

I know mine is gone too, I did read somewhere one problem was BMW made the wires a little short to them so when the passanger seat gets moved back this can cause plug issues, so may always be worth a look at that first, I know I use to have that problem on another car with the same thing, the plug was dodgy not the unit.

The one on my car I know thats the error from my inspection 2 I had last year, but as I am on the look out for leather seats have not bothered to replace the mat pressure pad(as thats most likely what it is), yet if i dont find seats soon, i will just do this mod as a temp fix :)

Oncew my light is out, I will waiot for my next service to have the error cleared off rather than pay out just for that.

Hi everyone,

just carried out the above, but with one change, here is a circuit from the net to make your own bypass module. The parts cost me £0.50 from maplin and a bit of solder and wire. I installed it and then reset the airbag light and hey presto, the light is gone.

Circuit diagram attached

post-4196-1270988897.jpg

If you are afraid like me of cutting wires then you can do what I did.

I bought this from an Ebay seller in Germany:

gallery_2798_299_132162.jpg

It's simply plug and play. After I plugged it in I had to get my airbag light reset by my garage.

Cost of module was £11 including postage from Germany. My mechanic charged me £15 to reset the error codes.

If interested the ebay seller was this guy:

ebay link

The listings are all in German language but I simply used yahoo babelfish translator to work out what everything said.

Shop around though because for some reason the price has gone up.

This DIY is so good that the seller of the bypass module I've just bought from eBay has copied it and printed it out and is sending it out as instructions!!! Aly you should sue for copyright theft lol

Edit: they've also put a copyright sign on the sheet lol

Edited by ROB1986

This DIY is so good that the seller of the bypass module I've just bought from eBay has copied it and printed it out and is sending it out as instructions!!! Aly you should sue for copyright theft lol

Edit: they've also put a copyright sign on the sheet lol

Cheeky f*****s... Can you pm me the seller please Rob!

Hi guys,

Any idea what the by-pass's consist of ?

Being rather cynical, I thought it might just 'short out' the blue/white cable.

I saw one on e-bay - without a case etc, just looked like a blue & white cable soldered together & hidden in a sheath.

thanks folks