Sam

Subframe Issues

Is it all E46's that are affected or only earlier larger engined ones? Ive just purchased a 2001 (Y) 320 CI Auto, 69,000 miles. Hadnt heard of this until after purchase. Dont collect the car (from a large 1000 car car supermarket, reputable garage in business since 1930) till next week, they are putting a fresh MOT on it. Hmmm. Wont put me off as i adore the car and fell in love with it as soon as i saw / drove it (drove well from what i could see), hopefully dont have to bite the bullet too soon after purchase but better get it looked at eh?

I checked mine over as my diff was out the other week, can't see any cracks or hear any noises and mine has done 170k so pretty happy about that (330ci msport) but I use mine with a welded diff (3.38 ratio) so I'm going to take mine back out and strengthen all the rear up anyway for extra safety and strength which low brain speed shop will do for me.

1. oh dear..... just picked up my first e46 328, has a knock going over bumps from the nsr, was positive it was a shock but after reading this im not chuffed! especially at the prospect of paying a bill that size, car dosent have fsh so guessing bmw wont touch it? .... getting ahead of myself not checked yet.... hurry up daylight

1. oh dear..... just picked up my first e46 328, has a knock going over bumps from the nsr, was positive it was a shock but after reading this im not chuffed! especially at the prospect of paying a bill that size, car dosent have fsh so guessing bmw wont touch it? .... getting ahead of myself not checked yet.... hurry up daylight

fingers crossed for ya chap....... just had mine all welded and is great now

http://www.e46zone.c...ame-repair-diy/

Knocking when pulling away or going over bumps, pump the clutch a little at low speed to make the back end dip and rise on the suspension , then get underneath with a decent inspection lamp and check the nearside front subframe mount first.........the most common one to fail. From the outside it merely looks like unsubstantial hairline fracture/crack.

Shocks, broken springs, worn trailing arm bushes, cheap unmatched tyres, accident damage, all these (plus more) can contribute to iffy handling and odd noises so do not discount these if you find no cracks.

Edited by Phantom Mark

http://www.e46zone.c...ame-repair-diy/

Knocking when pulling away or going over bumps, pump the clutch a little at low speed to make the back end dip and rise on the suspension , then get underneath with a decent inspection lamp and check the nearside front subframe mount first.........the most common one to fail. From the outside it merely looks like unsubstantial hairline fracture/crack.

Shocks, broken springs, worn trailing arm bushes, cheap unmatched tyres, accident damage, all these (plus more) can contribute to iffy handling and odd noises so do not discount these if you find no cracks.

I would 2nd this plus I had a bad vibration form the rear at speed. if you jack up the rear then the cracks can be easy to see if they are there.....

right.... had a good look... no cracks!, no excessive leaks from shock and spring looks fine..... took the car a drive after reading symptoms on here, pulled away normally and under acceleration and no clunks on take off!, only time im getting a noise is on eneven ground (more so at low speed) and when i hit a bump/hole... however this is not constant.... in a 1 minute drive ill possibly hear it twice to three times, so something is away, i just dont know what

right.... had a good look... no cracks!, no excessive leaks from shock and spring looks fine..... took the car a drive after reading symptoms on here, pulled away normally and under acceleration and no clunks on take off!, only time im getting a noise is on eneven ground (more so at low speed) and when i hit a bump/hole... however this is not constant.... in a 1 minute drive ill possibly hear it twice to three times, so something is away, i just dont know what

Could also be a fractured drop link or something????

sorry if im taking over this thread but the info im recieving is good help... right so jacked car up again, wheel off, spring is spot on! as is subframe, trailing arm bush looks a little tired but not done yet, removed everything from the boot, carpet etc.... noticed that the strut tower and rubber covering mat was wet!..... nowhere else in boot area apart from nsr strut tower (where the sound is coming from) , took the car another drive down an industrial estate , put it in first and just let the engine pull me along slowly... doing this the knock became a kinda rattle. however when hitting a pothole it comes back to the knock/bang...... i have no idea what the wetness on the strut tower was, but seems to coinsidental to be nothing.... hopefully just a shock then?

Just welding up the cracks doesn't solve the problem you HAVE to fit reinforcement plates or it will just happen again the metal is just too thin and the box section not upto the job.

This one was welded 2 years ago but the owner didn't want reinforcement plates as it would raise the rear of the car 3mm......

24abb9768573757b8699af5c2e460b87.jpg

5bc3af4ca4dd5c56524b3413da6a3194.jpg