Dr T

Tyre Stretch - Impact On Performance?

Why would MV'S rub?

Ive fitted 20mm spacers to the rear to get a flush look, had the arches rolled (inner lip only) but when loaded the drivers side just catches.

I will be fitting a thicker spring cap to the drivers side tomorrow to try and even the ride height up from left to right on the rear (which I hope means that the drivers side no longer gets close when loaded like the passengerside) but still think i should investigate a slight bit of stretch for the new set of tyres in the near future.

Yeah that has crossed my mind, but the reason for going for 20s is that they are the thinest you can go for bolt to hub spacers which I prefer to longer bolt versions.

Im hoping that the new thicker spring cup will solve it but if it doesnt I think I might investigate the option of either getting thinner spacers or machining a couple of mm off the 20s (depending on whether there is enought material behind the bolt counter sinks)

have you adjusted the bolt on the bottom of the rear trailing arms to give you a slight bit of negative camber?

if not i would get it done, will give you a tiny bit of extra clearence :)

have you adjusted the bolt on the bottom of the rear trailing arms to give you a slight bit of negative camber?

if not i would get it done, will give you a tiny bit of extra clearence :)

Already running 1.5degrees negative camber which is the recommended rear camber for road use.

Much more than that and it might become twitchy and wear tyres quickly.

I think there is a little bit more adjustment in the rear camber bolts so might be worth a look if I cant get the clearance I need elsewhere.

yeah they will give you a bit of stretch.

im running 225 40's on my 9" rears and they look like this.

IMAG0274.jpg

thats the best pic ive got atm.

yours will be slightly more stretched than that.

yes they are mate. style 32's

they have silly offsets, the rears i think are ET20 and the fronts ET22 or could be other way round lol.

EDIT: if you fit 225 40s on your wheels you should have no dramas at all with rubbing mate.

Edited by rick323

Yeah that has crossed my mind, but the reason for going for 20s is that they are the thinest you can go for bolt to hub spacers which I prefer to longer bolt versions.

Im hoping that the new thicker spring cup will solve it but if it doesnt I think I might investigate the option of either getting thinner spacers or machining a couple of mm off the 20s (depending on whether there is enought material behind the bolt counter sinks)

Bolt on is defo the best, if they are steel and there is enough material maybe you can get 2-3mm off which should be enough. If they are alloy then I'm not sure if its safe to run them that thin??? What about pulling the arches a bit?

they have silly offsets, the rears i think are ET20 and the fronts ET22 or could be other way round lol.

Fronts are perfect rears could do with 8mm off hub

EDIT: if you fit 225 40s on your wheels you should have no dramas at all with rubbing mate.

nice one.

Bolt on is defo the best, if they are steel and there is enough material maybe you can get 2-3mm off which should be enough. If they are alloy then I'm not sure if its safe to run them that thin??? What about pulling the arches a bit?

They are Eibach spacers which I think are alloy so might not be worth the risk.

Might mock them up on the CAD and then FEA them to see what the stresses raise to.

I could flair the arches but apparently you run the risk of cracking the paint on the outer arch edge which then causes it to flake. Not a good look. LOL!

Not a good look but it's not likely to happen unless you do it with no thought.

If you have cad why not knock some up in steel?

This is true. The guy that rolled the inner lip for me did take his time and was real careful.

That's a good point. Can even get them machined at work. LOL!

Think that's Mondays tasks sorted.