mit

What Next?

Car suggestions  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Haven't read the whole thread, but from what I remember; you're in London, have secure parking, and it's not a daily.

I'd get a classic all day long.

But, IF I had £25k to blow on a car I'd go for a 996 turbo. But appreciate the 993 is a little understated and it's costs have plateaued.

I think the 996 is an ugly car. That's like saying you'd be happy with a rich ugly wife. It is a daily, in that if my work changes and I suddenly have to work in Stansted every day (for example) it also has to get me there and back without fail. It's only not a daily at the moment because I happen to be working in Canary Wharf. That said, this would be cool: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201233481940583/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/15000/price-to/30000/model/alpina/make/bmw/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/quicksearch/true/postcode/ec3n1jj/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p but not as cool as this: http://www.autotrade.../1500?logcode=p - shame it's such high mileage :lol:

Edited by mit

Haha yeah 996 is ugliest of the 911s but you're buying a car for you - and whilst you're sat in it, you're not having to look at it. :-)

The cars you're posting - I'm guessing depreciation isn't an issue? It's a shame you're no fan of the 6, the m6 is a perfect car. You should take one for a test drive.

Yes - no one likes an ugly wife. But if she can cook, clean and do everything you ask, there is temptation to let her stick around for a bit.

RS4, M3, M5, XKR have all been mentioned and rightly so.

Most other things will not be good dailies... TVRs etc, and will drive you nuts.

Stuff

lol yeah the 996 would be perfect but I have to walk up to it to get in, and it would break my heart every time I looked at it, so it's a no go.

Depreciation *is* an issue insofar as the 993 only got a look in because it doesn't depreciate. I'd actually love one aside from it being so old fashioned. I realise now (though I disagreed in the 90's) that the 996 was a desperately needed update!

I think the likes of Astons are out of the question. Although they are becoming 'affordable' my last name is Patel and you can take the Patel out of the corner shop, but you can't take the corner shop out of the Patel. This means I'm not looking at anything that's single digit mpg in town. So no Aston, no Ferrari etc (there are a couple of £25k ones that would have been fun). I think about 18mpg is the lowest I'm prepared to stomach. That's what the E39 gave me around town before it blew up and even that made me cringe lol

So it's probably between the Alpina I posted (or similar) and a brand new GT86 , which does everything apart from fold the roof and have a tactile feeling dashboard (but it more than makes up for this with tactile feeling drive). I like that I can get the GT86 on a dealer finance thingy and keep money in my bank account. Doubt I can do that with the Alpina... also concerned that it's the only decent one for sale and it's silver. I really don't want a silver car...

:)

Saw a GT86 in the flesh the other day in lincoln. It was a pearl white one, looked and sounded great!

Personally think that they are the best looking new car for a long time.

Have to say that i think the 996 isn't that bad in styling stakes if you go for a turbo version :punk:

Saw a GT86 in the flesh the other day in lincoln. It was a pearl white one, looked and sounded great! Personally think that they are the best looking new car for a long time. Have to say that i think the 996 isn't that bad in styling stakes if you go for a turbo version :punk:
It drives as well as it looks! It's got really sharp steering, decent ride and comes with most of the basics (heated seats, cruise control, electric fold mirrors etc) but no sunroof option, no convertible, and the seats in the back really are token gestures, a bit like the Jag...
Alpina B3 FTMFW
:lol:
I hate everything about Alpinas, from the nasty front splitter right down to the crappy HUGE badges all over the bootlid that look like they came from the bargain bin @ Halfrauds. But if you like :D
Each to his own :lol: I've done a spreadsheet with a bunch of calculations for stuff to see how much they will all cost me over 3 years:

Car Total Cost (3 Years)

BMW 325Ci £18,397.73 (this is my current car based on the first 3 years I had it, half this figure for the next 3 years as there'll be little to no depreciation)

Jaguar XK £27,582.14

BMW 330d £20,150.00

BMW 335i £22,202.63

Alpina B3 £28,602.63

BMW M3 £31,350.00

Toyota GT86 £25,350.00

Aston Martin £37,950.00

BMW 123d £22,350.00

It assumes 10000 miles a year and £1.45 a litre (cost of super unleaded or diesel) and insurance and car MPG, as well as purchase price against what I reckon it'll be worth in 3 years.

What about a merc??? 230867207672 170923276206

Both worse than the Porsche, round lights *and* ugly dashboard, so there's no winning from inside or outside the car. Plus both are M3 money.

Edited by mit