mintimperial

DISA valve refurb M54 3.0

Get a Dremel and cut a slot into it. Then use a flathead screwdriver

Tried, the gap was too small to fit a dremel in there properly :/ got a slot in and put loads of torque on but no joy. Someone must've loctite it in at some stage. I think the only option is to weld onto the screw and get it out that way. what a mission

You can get these attachments that are designed for this kind of job! I can't remember what they're called (need to nip to the shed) but machine mart sell them for about £16 and they come in handy, give me a while and I'll grab the name of them.

Dee

You can get these attachments that are designed for this kind of job! I can't remember what they're called (need to nip to the shed) but machine mart sell them for about £16 and they come in handy, give me a while and I'll grab the name of them.

Dee

Cheers Dee, the main issue is I can't get a drill etc in there, the area is too tight

Still didn't get around to doing mine yet >.< I've ordered a 90 degree drill attachment off eBay for a 5er so I can get a pilot hole drilled and a screw extractor on.

Don't know if anyone else gets same as me, but sometimes my idle dips too low when putting the clutch in and steering at the same time, it rarely stalls from it (probably 1 in a 100x it stalls) but it's annoying. Wondering if it's DISA. Had it checked for vac leaks by various mechanics, intake boot etc all good.

Edited by rickeh

Looks like I might have the startings of a rattly DISA.

Just about to order an i6 repair kit and get it sorted ASAP, regardless of if I find it loose or not.

One question: does the orange seal come in the kit?

Two questions: does the 2.5 kit on the website get you a 2.5 kit as in the description it only mentions 3.0?

Maybe a call to them first thing is needed :)

Edited by Quiksilver_TR

Looks like I might have the startings of a rattly DISA.

Just about to order an i6 repair kit and get it sorted ASAP, regardless of if I find it loose or not.

One question: does the orange seal come in the kit?

Two questions: does the 2.5 kit on the website get you a 2.5 kit as in the description it only mentions 3.0?

Maybe a call to them first thing is needed :)

You remove the orange seal and replace it with an O ring.

Yes although it only states 3.0 I bought a kit from them for my 2.5.

The kit arrived Friday after ordering it on Thursday and I managed to get it fitted on Saturday.

The original flap wasn't overly loose and the pin was still in place, although it wasn't that difficult to pull out, but I'm happier knowing it's done and the rattle that was there now isn't.

Yet to drive it to see if it's made any difference but tbh I'm not expecting it too.

Mine had covered 140K but was the same as above, not overly loose, pin still in place but now its fitted the rattle has gone which is nice.

Cant say i noticed any performance gain but didn't drive very far to be fair.

Well recommend doing, quality kit, and it as its such an easy job and peace of mind.

This was on a 325ci M54 engine

Edited by R11CH

I've just received my DISA refurb kit - purchased after reading this great DIY - but as mine is an M52TU 2.8 I had to get a kit from somewhere else and it did not come with any grease!

Anyone know what kind of grease I should be using?

Don't want the thing seizing up or something a few months down the line. Plan to tackle it at the weekend.

Just done mine too, nice and easy with this DIY ;-)

Looks like a previous owners had it off before as it had a replacement seal but the rest of it was original and despite me bm covering just over 140,000 it was in pretty good condition. Well grubby and the flap didn't move properly but the pin was still a tight fit.

Still changed it though, cured the rattle but no noticeable improvement in power. Good to know its done though, another thing crossed off the list.

Had new track rods in the week too, not just the ends, the complete rods followed by 4 wheel alignment and 4 new tyres UR rainsport 3s, she drives like a dream now, well chuffed :-)