Wash

N42B20/N46B20 - engine swap possible?

I've been looking for a new engine in my car and my car has the N42B20A engine.

I've been offered an N46 engine and I was wondering whether I could do I direct engine swap?

Perhaps I may need the N46 ECU too?

I've tried looking over google and have found that the engines are basically the same but are they that similar that I can swap them?

Any advice given is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Wash

I'd have to ask the seller about that.

After a bit of googling about the N46 ECU, I've found the difference between the N42 and the N46 ECU:

"The N42 has 1 computer each for control of the valvetronic system and the ECU and the N46 the valvetronic control unit is integrated into the ECU"

I reckon this will be so expensive you might as well put in a LS1 V8 like bikealarmblair :)

The loom will be different and there are a bunch more sensors. The ECU/OBC will also be different because E9x models have condition-based servicing (and the sensors for it) rather than the old style intervals on the E46 that were just based on some parameters.

Good skills if you can do it, but I'd much rather see someone put in a 335i engine :D

Oh in that case it should be possible I guess :)

Would anyone know what sort of changes I'd have to make?

Could I just take the ECU from the N46 engine and put it in the place of my N42 ECU and do the engine swap?

The car it's coming from is a 2004 E46 318i saloon.

Anything is possible with enough time, money & knowhow.

For sure you'll need both ecu's from the donor car ecu (dme) & ews or it will never run. You'll prob need the light switch too & maybe the instrument cluster if your fussed about having the new engines mileage or some B&W chip tune could code the modules

Think about gearbox/clutch/driveshafts are they all the same?

As engine swaps go, this one sucks. Sorry I can't be more constructive but...

If you're going to replace the engine on a car you can basically say goodbye to a lot of the resale value. It will put off a lot of the potential buyers. IMO you'd need to get either something more powerful or something more economical. For me it would have to be an M57N or an S something or other. For the amount of messing involved you want some sort of reward for your troubles.

You'll have to declare the swap to an N46 to you insurance which will no doubt hike your premium.

Edited by ROB1986

On 05.07.2011 at 14:16, Wash said:

I've been looking for a new engine in my car and my car has the N42B20A engine.

I've been offered an N46 engine and I was wondering whether I could do I direct engine swap?

Perhaps I may need the N46 ECU too?

I've tried looking over google and have found that the engines are basically the same but are they that similar that I can swap them?

Any advice given is greatly appreciated.

Ciao!ai risolto il problema?stessa problema o io.Hello! you solved the problem. just want to make myself. Why did you have to change the motor to work? thanks.

Edited by Robert81

On 06.07.2011 at 00:50, Blair said:

Anything is possible with enough time, money & knowhow.

For sure you'll need both ecu's from the donor car ecu (dme) & ews or it will never run. You'll prob need the light switch too & maybe the instrument cluster if your fussed about having the new engines mileage or some B&W chip tune could code the modules

Think about gearbox/clutch/driveshafts are they all the same?

Hello! you solved the problem. just want to make myself. Why did you have to change the motor to work? thanks.