Darklordvader

Rear Parking Sensors Not Working....

Rear parking sensors on the newly purchased 318i seem to be dead , I gather you select reverse and they beep when you get near anything ? right now there is nothing , can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it out please.

Cheers Steve.

Start with the fuse, you should get something. Listen to each sensor with the car in reverse, and you should hear a ticking noise. If no ticking = knackered sensor.

If none are ticking, i'd start looking at cables and connections

Thanks Cliff , great help , any idea what fuse number would be , as I have no handbook with car.............you wouldnt no where I could find a handbook would you?

Cheers Steve.

Thanks Cliff , great help , any idea what fuse number would be , as I have no handbook with car.............you wouldnt no where I could find a handbook would you?

Cheers Steve.

There should be a few PDFs on the net for the handbook. Assuming you mean the owners manual?

To find the right fuse just drop your fusebox down and there should be a fuse diagram with the functions, position and amp rating of each fuse. If it's not there then google image search should bring one up.

Edited by ROB1986

Hi All , Check the rear parking sensors this morning and they are all clicking/buzzing so they must be ok , where would bm put the beeper in the car somewhere at the back Iam thinking would I be right or wrong ,can anyone confirm where to look please.

Cheers Steve.

Hi All , Check the rear parking sensors this morning and they are all clicking/buzzing so they must be ok , where would bm put the beeper in the car somewhere at the back Iam thinking would I be right or wrong ,can anyone confirm where to look please.

Cheers Steve.

IIRC its under the dash in the drivers footwell, if u lay in the drivers footwell and face up its on the bottom/underside of the dash.

Beeper is under the trim panel next to the steering wheel.

If you look for the final stage resistor replacement instructions, you'll find it easily.

Put the lights on, take the key out and open the door and see if you get anything, i think it's the same beeper that services both.

If that works, you may have one of the connections to it bad or unplugged.

C.

Guest b33mer320t

Rear parking sensors on the newly purchased 318i seem to be dead , I gather you select reverse and they beep when you get near anything ? right now there is nothing , can anyone point me in the right direction to sort it out please.

Cheers Steve.

hi again. switch on your ignition,but dont start her up. select reverse gear and go to the rear of your car and put your ear to all your sensors one at a time and you will hear a ticking/buzzing sound. the one(s) u dont hear are the faulty one(s) and thats the one u need replacing. you should be hearing a continious beep at the moment when you start her up which is a warning your pdc has a fault.

hi again. switch on your ignition,but dont start her up. select reverse gear and go to the rear of your car and put your ear to all your sensors one at a time and you will hear a ticking/buzzing sound. the one(s) u dont hear are the faulty one(s) and thats the one u need replacing. you should be hearing a continious beep at the moment when you start her up which is a warning your pdc has a fault.

Hi There is no beeping what so ever and I have done the ear test and they are all ticking/buzzing so this weekend I will try to find where the beeper is as it must be this which is at fault or the the wiring....

Beeper is under the trim panel next to the steering wheel.

If you look for the final stage resistor replacement instructions, you'll find it easily.

Put the lights on, take the key out and open the door and see if you get anything, i think it's the same beeper that services both.

If that works, you may have one of the connections to it bad or unplugged.

C.

Have done the test you suggested with the lights and the beeper works so I think I may have to start pulling the car apart to look for a bad connection.....

It's unlikely the beeper will have failed, i suspect that if your PDC Sensors are ticking, and you're not getting the long beep when you put it in reverse with the ignition on, then the connection to the beeper is unplugged, or you have a wiring issue somewhere.

The beeper is on the panel thats directly next and to to the left of the little cubbyhole in the dash next to your right knee when you're sitting in the car. There are 3 or 4 connections to it, for PDC/lights etc.

If you're really stuck and can't fix it, and don't mind a trip round the M25, let me know and i'll be happy to take a look at it for you.

Regards,

C.

Thats damn good of you sir! I will give it my best shot and see what happens ,not sure when cos its my 29th wedding anni this weekend and if I have my head buried in a car I think I will be wearing my nuts as earings!!

Cheers Steve.

Yeah, my PDCs are not all tickety-boo either. I dropped the car off, with a replacement sensor, at my local garage last week and though the new sensor plugged straight in, the system was still failing (and giving the 3-second 'beeeeeep') each time the ignition was switched on. It would behave after being reset on the diagnostic computer, then fail again. Mechanic reckons the control unit has had the d**k, but managed to switch off the long warning beep which was actually more annoying than having no PDC :-)

Anybody here successfully replaced the PDC control unit? Are there different versions, as with the sensors?

Right so I've had the  intermittent  5sec tone, reversing sensors not worked the hole time I've had the car, not reading up on how too check for clicks till today I  purchased 4  budget brand new sensors off eBay, installed and no joy, but all four was clicking away as they should, thinking one of them must of been  defective I move on too check the old ones and 3 was working bar one, put the three working ones back in and as I unplugged the fourth the 5 seconds tone kicked in, re-plugged back in and the sensors started working, but after switching off the  ignition, stopped working, repeated unplugging the fourth brand new replacement and plugged back in and all was well again till I switched off the  ignition , so it seems my 325ci don't like the cheap replacements and will source a second hand  original , so peeps with working clicks, one or all could be cheap replacements your car don't like, hope this helps. 

Lee lad, Did you ever get this sorted? I’ve had the exact same problem, one sensor clearly faulty, replaced it with a cheap non-BMW part and while I can hear the sensor clicking, it clicks unevenly and it does exactly the same as yours, works OK when first plugged in but after turning ignition off and back on it doesn’t work at all (not even a long beep). 

2003 320CI convertible 

9 hours ago, succentor said:

Lee lad, Did you ever get this sorted? I’ve had the exact same problem, one sensor clearly faulty, replaced it with a cheap non-BMW part and while I can hear the sensor clicking, it clicks unevenly and it does exactly the same as yours, works OK when first plugged in but after turning ignition off and back on it doesn’t work at all (not even a long beep). 

2003 320CI convertible 

Replace with genuine..