mlund102

M3 electric seat wiring.

I might wire up my heated seats tonight so might be able to help out with pics too.

Have a look here in the meantime as it details all the wires & what they do (complete vehicle/body/seat, steering-column, mirror functions) :

http://bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/e46/

The easiest way to tell is to unclip the leather from the side & lift it up, you'll see the elements stitched into the leather if they're heated.

Think you need to plan this properly mate rather than just being overkeen to get them fitted.

If they are heated you need the correct button bar for the centre console too.

This covers the electric part of them...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=348165

This covers the heated part

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341242

Edited by L333JSA

Im not planning to wire up the heated seats if they are anyway as like you said I would have to buy the button bar/control unit for them, was just curious thats all as I didnt know what to look for to check. Im just after the electrics to work. Il have a look at the links now. Thanks

Can you remove the airbag bit from your old seats and fit it to the M3 seats???

Just had a good look at mine and there is only 2 wires to each seat that power the motors, big chunky earth which connects to the earth block next to the seat along the inner sill (behind the kick plate trim) and a live which runs to the fuse box at the marked location.

As for connecting up the different motors on the seats I cant really help on that one as I don't have M3 seats

If you need pictures of the earth point and fuse box location let me know and ill take some for you, as for the wires they are around 4-5mm thick

Pictures as promised

Earth wire (big brown wire) fits in here with all the others, same location each side

IMG_1566.jpg

Fuse box (need to remove glove box for better access

IMG_1567.jpg

Both live wires fit where the yellow arrow is, if you look at your fuse diagram it will tell you which points, one is 60 something and the other 70 something

The white and red wire from the memory fits with all there other red and white wires in the red circle.

There is a brown and black wire from the memory not sure if its an earth or not, if its not it fits in under the dash drivers side to the right of the steering column strapped to the loom there is another multi connector block (same as the earth multi connector block) full of other brown and black wires. sorry didn't get a picture of this bit

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Edited by neil278

Hi, all sorted and wired up! The problem was that on the M3 seats they did not have the seat belts an pre tensioners fitted and the plug is attached to the seatbelt tensioners. So.... I took the seat belts and plugs and fitted them to the new seats, which would then plug straight into the yellow plug in the car. Then all I did was run a power and earth lead to each seat and voila! All works apart from the memory which to be honest in not really bothered about as no one else drives it. Looking back, I can't believe I didn't notice the seatbelt's where missing! Sorry everyone! Well thanks to everyone who helped! If anyone would like any more info please let me know.

I'd get the memory module anyway. Then you can have reverse parking assist on your mirror, and you can tell people it has electric/memory seats when you sell it. Otherwise they'll knock you down on price because the memory doesn't work!

Hi ,I'm new to this so my apologies if its not done right.I have some lovely seats out of an M3[not sure of model] and I'm installing them 

into a 1970 mustang.I,m just not sure which wires power up the seat motors.I can't see anything resembling my colours on this forum.

I,ll show some photos of what I have.If anyone could help,I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg