mneth1986

DSC issue?

Evening all,

I have a strange DSC issue with my 330 that's driving me mad!

It started a few weeks ago when exiting a roundabout the dsc light flickered, I didn't think too much of it as I was driving reasonably hard, my rear tyres are pretty low so put it down to that. Since then the issue has got progressively worse with the dsc light flickering and causing hesitation (like your doing a massive wheel spin) whenever I'm turning left (never right) or under hard acceleration in a straight line. It's been at my local garage for a week, no fault codes when scanned. We've also done a live test on the wheel speeds and seem to be normal. The car drives perfectly when the dsc is completely switched off, could it be a module problem? Help please!!

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by mneth1986

Hi Jay,

I haven't done yet, they're not completely down to the tread bars but certainly pretty low. My mechanic kind of suggested that it would be unlikely them, but I guess I should eliminate that.

dsc is most effective with tyres that are half worn or better. I've certainly noticed on mine if the tyres are down on tread the dsc is very controlling.

But as bad as undriveable? I literally can't go left with the dsc on, it thinks the wheels are constantly spinning, revs all over the place and just won't go. Thats what makes me think it's more than tyres. Cheers for your help though dude, might as well change them as it's got to be done

hmm can't say its been undriveable as such dood. maybe a wheel speed sensor on the limits of its values whilst stationary, or could be the pressure sensor in the engine bay. neither are particuarly expensive to replace.

Yeah i have to turn it off everytime, which is fine, but i can't sell it like that, which i'm looking to do in a few months. Definitely seems like a sensor type problem, the DSC kicks in even at 10mph without any acceleration. Weird that no fault codes show.

As long as the sensor is giving data within a valid range then there will be no errors, doesn't mean the notched part of the hub hasn't got a problem leading to the sensor misreading the wheel speed!

Heard back from the garage, it's the driveshaft corroded and rubbing against the abs sensors, similar to this thread http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/50383-rear-drive-shaft-repair-please-advise/

Quoted as follows

Driveshaft end overhall x 2 £450

Rear ABS sensor x 2 £195

Labour £360

+ VAT=£1200

Thoughts on the price?