Mem34

Intermittent hard brakes

Hi to everyone, new Member so not sure if anyone has this problem, I bought my wife a used E46 03 plate last year and recently the brakes were playing up going hard so I took it to my local garage and he said it needed a servo so I changed it and still no change ,well after changing servo ,vacuum hose, and brake master cylinder, vacuum pump, still brakes are playing up ,so I took it to another garage so I could get another look at it because I was going crazy, the 2nd garage said that the vacuum pump was faulty which I had changed ,so he put another pump ,so once again the brakes were playing up every now and then ,this morning I was taking it back to the garage for him to look at it and NOTHING,I drove around for an hour and the brakes were fine,I know there faulty and I can't give it to my wife to drive because of safety, and I couldn't take it to the garage because the garage would think I'm going crazy ,,does any one have or had a problem like this,,Heeeeeelllpppp,or am I going mad,

any help ,Thankyou

Hi thanks for the reply,it's a 316i 

1.8 engine I've changed all vacuum hoses ,which I bought from bmw,master cylinder, but none of the garages didn't put it on the computer to check fault codes because they said it wasn't electrical and it was a vacuum problem,sorry to get back really late about this but working as an Ambulance driver don't really have much time to check phone,sorry .Thanks

Hi,it's had 2 vacuum pumps,my 1st garage put a new not so expensive 1 then when I took it to the 2nd garage he said there wasn't enough vacuum so he got a new more expensive 1,but it keeps on happening brakes suddenly go hard .