sunnyd

oil in coolant

Hi people was wondering if anyone could help,

I was driving back from work yesterday morning and the coolant light came on for about 30sec then went off and never came back on. 

So when i got home gave it a few hours to cool down to check the coolant level.

On doing so found that I’ve got oil in the coolant???  Was like wtf… checked the oil dip stick and thats clean no traces of water.

So was wondering if anyone knew the cause of this? And if so what sort of price Am I looking at for sorting it out.

OH IVE GOT AN E46 330D MSPORT TOURING if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help and the ease my mind.  

Sounds like the headgasket has failed, are you sure its oil? Not just rust in the system? 

You'd need to take the head off and take it to a good reputable car engineering firm to skim the bottom of it, guessing £150 quid then put a new gasket in and refit and torque up the head bolts equally with a torque wrench. The straight six weakness is the coolant system, have you been sure that your coolant level has been sufficient lately? I check mine every weekend or before any long trips, these are old cars now and they need our love and attention, mine is constantly leaking! Match that with a straight six being such a long engine, the heads are always prone to warping if they get too hot. 

The best course of action would be to buy another 330, use that whilst you repair this one. Thats why I've got two =P

Low coolant warning could be due to a cracked expansion tank / failed expansion cap allowing coolant to escape. Naturally check all coolant pipes too, water pump etc. 
oil mixing with coolant could also be due to a failed oil filter housing gasket.