thisworks

Car Leaning To Drivers Side

I've just pick my car up 330cd cab from the garage after having new suspension and springs all round fitted along with wishbown bushes. Problem is the car is now leaning to the drivers side. I make it Front Drivers 13"10/16ths Passangers 14"4/16ths and Rear Drivers 12" 11/16ths Passangers 13" 12/16ths measured from the centre of the wheel. Thats 10/16ths" at the front and 1"1/16th at the rear! I know the suspension will settle but am i wrong in thinking it should be settling at the same height? Thanks for any help

Thanks for the quick reply mate. Ye i thought the extra weight of the battery fuel etc might be a cause. Just the springs went in to lower it now it looks like its on stilts on the passangers! Just doesnt seem right.

Not a problem. Someone will be along soon to tell you for certain but I think there are things you can do to counter the dip if it bothers you that much. For example I think you could take out the spring pads on one side to lower the car...but then you'd be left with a harsher rode on one side. Guess it's the good old fashion versus comfort lol.

Also bare in mind it takes a while for the springs to settle so it may be that your passenger side will drop a little more to match the drivers side.

EDIT: I've just looked at the differences you have and that seems like a MASSIVE difference. Over an inch :-O. Wait till they settle fully and if it's still ba I'd be back to the garage to make sure try fitted everything back in properly!

Over an inch difference? Are you sure your spring pads are sitting correctly on the stubs they rest on? Can't think what else would cause such a difference, unless you are parked on uneven ground. Even a small gradient that seems flat can affect the arch clearance gap by a considerable distance. Check them out next time you are in a car park or somewhere else that is properly flat. If there is still a good inch difference between sides, I'd have the pads out and refitthem, ensuring they are seated properly. 15 min job each side tops.

As Keith said, normally there is around 5mm - 10mm difference. My coilovers are set differently all round to get rid of this. Not much you can do though, but fitting E36 rear upper spring pads will help, well make it higher. As they are thicker.

As Keith said, normally there is around 5mm - 10mm difference. My coilovers are set differently all round to get rid of this. Not much you can do though, but fitting E36 rear upper spring pads will help, well make it higher. As they are thicker.

Yeah there is normally a difference, but if it's excessive then I'd check the pads are sitting right. As Chris says, you can always buy a thicker pad for the lower side (if you already have the thinnest pads) or if you have the thicker pads, buy a thinner one for the side that sits high. They are available in 5, 10 and 15mm.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Over an inch difference? Are you sure your spring pads are sitting correctly on the stubs they rest on? Can't think what else would cause such a difference, unless you are parked on uneven ground. Even a small gradient that seems flat can affect the arch clearance gap by a considerable distance. Check them out next time you are in a car park or somewhere else that is properly flat. If there is still a good inch difference between sides, I'd have the pads out and refitthem, ensuring they are seated properly. 15 min job each side tops.

Ye figured maybe its just my drive not being quite as flat as i think. Had a look at it halfords car park (needed screenwash again, love them headlight washers!) and the shell garage forecort, still s*ite! Think your right mate, pads not sitting correctly. Garage can have it back monday, good thing i got laid off before christmas ha!

TBH its pretty hard to balls installing the rear springs. I personally doubt they could have installed them incorrectly, well i take it, its a decent garage. But one thing they may have done, is left out a spring pad somehow.

I went to BMW about thicker spring pads (fronts) and there werent any listed, but admittedly I didnt look for rears. Maybe some E36 ones are the way forward if theyre thicker?

Also, the reason its lower on the right is due to Euro/USA cars as the driver sits on the left and evens it out. Your car was eaning before you had it lowered, its just more pronounced now. Look at 'every' E46 you see and you'll see if from now on :P I find it really fecking annoying too!!

It's natural. e46's have an issue with being lower on the drivers side. No real answer as to why, but probably due to battery and steering column being on the drivers side and thus adding extra weight.

Mine doesn't. I wouldn't have bought it if it did. (I have a pretty good eye for this kind of thing; I told my mate his flat screen TV was mounted wonky from the other side of the room because it was 5mm lower on one side, and he didn't believe me until he took a spirit level to it and measured it, and it was 5mm wonky)!

Maybe it's only lower once you fit lowering springs because they are made for LHD cars, for the reasons stated by Stan above.

Mine doesn't. I wouldn't have bought it if it did. (I have a pretty good eye for this kind of thing; I told my mate his flat screen TV was mounted wonky from the other side of the room because it was 5mm lower on one side, and he didn't believe me until he took a spirit level to it and measured it, and it was 5mm wonky)!

Maybe it's only lower once you fit lowering springs because they are made for LHD cars, for the reasons stated by Stan above.

Do you know what Mit, I actually believe you! Lol. Mine isn't too bad, should get you aroud with your magic eyes to let me know by how much :P

Do you know what Mit, I actually believe you! Lol. Mine isn't too bad, should get you aroud with your magic eyes to let me know by how much :P

Yep, if they were all like that you'd see it in the showroom and "they are all like that" wouldn't cut it as an excuse when you're forking out £35k+ for a new car. Your money would go to Audi or Mercedes who don't make wonky cars.

I have a friend with a 318Ci that's lower on the driver side by about an inch, totally OEM spec, but it wasn't like that when he bought it. We had it on a ramp suspecting a broken spring but couldn't find anything at the time, but weren't looking too hard as he can't be bothered to get it sorted anyway.

Yep, if they were all like that you'd see it in the showroom and "they are all like that" wouldn't cut it as an excuse when you're forking out £35k+ for a new car. Your money would go to Audi or Mercedes who don't make wonky cars.

I have a friend with a 318Ci that's lower on the driver side by about an inch, totally OEM spec, but it wasn't like that when he bought it. We had it on a ramp suspecting a broken spring but couldn't find anything at the time, but weren't looking too hard as he can't be bothered to get it sorted anyway.

Good point! Is it possible that due to the extra weight the springs become slightly compressed over time, or that the spring pads become slightly more compressed?

Good point! Is it possible that due to the extra weight the springs become slightly compressed over time, or that the spring pads become slightly more compressed?

Possible... 99.9% of his driving is done with no other passengers, plus he's gained a bit of weight over the years lol (but it's lower with nobody sitting in it).

I'm sure there's an explanation anyway, even if it's something nasty like a bent wishbone or whatever. I just don't believe that it's supposed to be wonky. No other car is, unless it's set up to race NASCAR or something lol (they make the inside wheels a bit smaller on oval circuits)!

It was the springs on the passanger side not seated correctly, cars mint now :) . I had the new lad on my car :( who'd been poached from Williams BMW liverpool, if you dont know Williams liverpool is quite possible THE worst stealer garage in the country he also managed to chip and scuff two of the alloys aswell, total doyal! Guess they gotta get there mechanics from somewhere. The Independant was spot on tho, give the lad a f@*#in, refurbed the wheels perfectly, no arguing, sorted the springs and fitted a short shift no charge. Thanks for the help lads!

It was the springs on the passanger side not seated correctly, cars mint now :lol: . I had the new lad on my car :( who'd been poached from Williams BMW liverpool, if you dont know Williams liverpool is quite possible THE worst stealer garage in the country he also managed to chip and scuff two of the alloys aswell, total doyal! Guess they gotta get there mechanics from somewhere. The Independant was spot on tho, give the lad a f@*#in, refurbed the wheels perfectly, no arguing, sorted the springs and fitted a short shift no charge. Thanks for the help lads!

Glad its sorted, and thats what i like. Things will go wrong, but its how they are sorted after, and obviously they care, so fair play :)

You should get your springs properly inspected before you try to raise it.