Dr T

Tyre Stretch - Impact On Performance?

I'll back up my theory with the below example, which funnily enough is an old car I used to own. The external modifications were simply a fresh set of 205 GTi speedlines, lowered 35mm, good tread and a pug sport exhaust.

The white Rallye looks fine , NOT Barry at all as its subtle mods .

However the Blue monstrosity underneath it IS indeed VERY BARRY . Awful bonnet scoop, front snow plough, Chavvy tints, Shopping list down the doors ..... & Barry eyebrows on the headlights . :rolleyes:

Thats sort of true in Germany but they have found a way around it. They can import a car already modified without the issues.

I know 2 people that have sold their cars to German buyers over there now and it's increasing as far as I know.

I think thats the issue really. Yes you have the right, but then so does everyone else. You cant say that but then shoot someone down when they mention a bit of stretch.

This is definitely the worst forum for arguements I've been on over stretch/non stretch. Just agree to disagree, chillax and let others get on with it.

I never actually made a comment as to how I thought the stretched look looks. Anything that is regarding looks is up to the owner and I wont come along and slate them for it, even if I dont like it. In fact I think some of the responses on this thread regarding the look of it are a bit out of order and uncalled for.

What I did make reference to was the clear safety implications having this set up will cause. I share the roads with people with this unsafe and quite ridiculous "modification". To be quite honest, I feel any one doing it is an absolute mug for putting not only their own lives/cars at risk but any one elses as well. If the worst happened and some one tyre/rim failed and they involved me in their family I would take this through the courts to have the driver punished as severely as possible.

It's dangerous, irresponsible and down right stupid.

I think it looks crap. You guys are all a bunch of muppets. This forum is rubbish. OMG that's so barry. Gay. OEM. Slammed. Awesome. Slick. Sick.

Still enjoying this thread :)

I think it looks crap. You guys are all a bunch of muppets. This forum is rubbish. OMG that's so barry. Gay. OEM. Slammed. Awesome. Slick. Sick.

Still enjoying this thread :)

You make me crack up - keep up the good work.

This is you

20070321.jpg

No offence but as mentioned in Nick87's post, You've assumed something from a few that take the extreme, and stereotyped everyone in that styling 'genre'.

Done sensibly, there is nothing wrong with a low stanced car and subtle stretched tyre. Lets be serious here, its no more dangerous than some bird in a standard car running her tyres at 45psi.

The contradiction of this thread is that people are calling slammed cars un-driveable, and that they wont go quicker than 15mph. Yet they're the biggest threat to road safety with potential blowouts at 150mph+

Matt apologies for coming across as personal in my first post. The quote was to just elaborate on a point you made.

The contradiction of this thread is that people are calling slammed cars un-driveable, and that they wont go quicker than 15mph. Yet they're the biggest threat to road safety with potential blowouts at 150mph+

Won't go quick around corners. A straight line they'll be fine. Also, I think people call them undriveable due to speed bumps, pot holes etc....

I don't think the same people have said both things. I said the 15mph thing but in the same post I said evidence suggests it's not dangerous because the incidence of problems related to stretched tyres is low.

So there :P

I'm not against fitting tyres within recommended tollerances. I'm not against lowering a car.

I think it's daft when a car is lowered to such an extreme, on such large wheels that it affects the useability of the car. If however the car still functions correctly, IE doesnt bottom out, doesnt scrub, doeant have negative and dangerous handling effects its owner choice really.

I do think there's another safety issue if that lowering causes the tyres to scrub on sharp metal arches though.

I am only referring to those that fit extremely wide wheels and narrow tyres when I say it's a safety issue with regards to the stretch look. Anything outside of the recommended tollerance.

I don't think the same people have said both things. I said the 15mph thing but in the same post I said evidence suggests it's not dangerous because the incidence of problems related to stretched tyres is low.

So there :P

LOL, thats why I said 'contradiction of the thread' :P

People is a plural. So there :P

Well i very much welcome the response from the OP and it is good to know that there are still people out there with a bit of common sense.

Still this has been a great read and quite possibly one of the more interesting threads we have had of late!

it is good to know that there are still people out there with a bit of common sense.

The thing about common sense is that it's not as common as the description suggests...

edit - I forgot the point of this thread.

Back on point...

I read in a VW magazine that legally, the tyre tread must not stick out beyond the arch and the wheel itself must not stick out anymore than 30mm from the arch...

JT

link to one of these threads ?

x2

I've only just read the rest of this thread as I got bored by the second page a while back but has become an interesting read!

In terms of few knowledgable people on this forum, I would have agreed with this statement a few years back when this site was up and running. To me it was a social forum. Now its a social and to some extent technical as well. It may not be up to par with Fanatics but they have been around a whole lot longer. And as this site grows as it continually does so does the wealth of knowledge on here. Jorge you say 99% of stuff is diag this diag that. But some of the problems that come up need a diagnostic so you can pin point the problem. No good to someone when they have a light come and someone comes along as a "know-it-all" says it definitely is this, that person goes off replaces x-y-z and the problem is still there.

Back on topic I don't have anything against stretched tyres but I think it goes a step too far when its overdone to the point where its not safe.

after reading this a second time now some of you guys really scare me... and make me feel that i should never turn up to a meet or show unless it was a modified one, one thing thats right tho.....i have tints it will be lowered on stretched tyres and my name is Barry so when you guys call me Barry i will just say "what" :P

stretch is legal because Rx-8's come with it as standard to improove handling accroding to mazda.

How ever Poke is illegal it its over 30mm

Haven't read the whole thread, but i was under the impression 'poke' was legal as long as the tyre tread was under the arch.

Sorry if this has been covered above somewhere.

Haven't read the whole thread, but i was under the impression 'poke' was legal as long as the tyre tread was under the arch.

Sorry if this has been covered above somewhere.

Yeah it it but then like with eveything the strech got more as did the poke, but most police will state anypoke more than 30mm regardless if the tread is within the arch is illegal.