mjn

What Have You Done To Your Car Today?

Personally I'd never fit Avon's again. Had the below happen to a set. On the inside wall so not spotted until I was under the car one day. Dread to think what could have happened had one let go. As you can see they were only a few months old.

The only thing I will say about Avon, was the no questions refund and slight compensation for replacement tyres was top notch with no questions asked. Collected the old tyres for investigation too.

avon.jpg

avon1.jpg

Edited by Longun

Personally I'd never fit Avon's again. Had the below happen to a set. On the inside wall so not spotted until I was under the car one day. Dread to think what could have happened had one let go. As you can see they were only a few months old.

The only thing I will say about Avon, was the no questions refund and slight compensation for replacement tyres was top notch with no questions asked. Collected the old tyres for investigation too.

avon.jpg

avon1.jpg

Christ....not good at all...how far in was it?

Christ....not good at all...how far in was it?

I could get a screw driver about 2mm into the crack on the one tyre and only 1mm on the other. It affected two out of the 4 tyres.

Never heard from them after they were collected but the aftersale service was good, especially as they were purchased and fitted by a local place so they could have sent me back to them.

Blimey that's bad! Good job you spotted that mate.

Where do you all get your tyres from? Got the rain sports from black circles all fitted came to around £540! Ouch!

These days the cheapest place. Normally Camskills or BlackCircles and then fitted at a local tyre place called Chris Mullens. Those most likely would have been a chain called protyre. I think they have branches elsewhere.

Ricky has 265's on the rear IIRC??

Yes but Ricky asked what size tyres were on SkinnyJ's :)

I just replaced the size that was already on the car, 225/40/18 and 235/40/18. I assumed that was OEM?

Rear should be 255/35/18, although 235/40/18 wont do any harm really. It gives you marginally less gripping surface than the 255's would, but increased sidewall strength so handling will be improved :)

Edited by Gaz

No way would I fit Avons on my car. I had to fit a front axle set on my old 330 when I got a puncture in Scotland late on a Saturday afternoon, and had to get a garage to fit some ASAP so I could driving home that night. They were all they had in the size I needed. They were so much poorer than the Falken 452s I did have on at the time, which are the same price and much better tyres.

Keith, remember Ricky had Fullruns fitted before so fitting Avons is a massive step up ! That said, I'm inclined to agree with you but I'm probably a bit of a snob when it comes to tyres. B)

Rear should be 255/35/18, although 235/40/18 wont do any harm really. It gives you marginally less gripping surface than the 255's would, but increased sidewall strength so handling will be improved :)

Oh bummer! I just assumed that was the OEM size. I'll remember that in the distant future when they need changing again, hopefully not too soon haha. I'm asumming the rear size was changed previously to save money?

I'm a complete snob when it comes to tyres. B)

Fixed

Skinny - It could have been anything, tyre shop might not have had the same size etc. As said though, not a big difference so you all good for a while, unless you wanna go drifting with Vicky? :P