Jump to content
Duracell Bunny

Off Topic Chat.

Recommended Posts

Also I dunno about other forum users but I have no clue what sub forum topics are posted in. I access this forum via 'view new posts' and just reply to posts as I see them.

I don't even know which forum this post is in... and don't care really. It's the same as my email; I don't have a million and one folders to sort out my messages, I just remember that I had an email about something, search for it and pow - it's there. I genuinely think that a good search engine on the forum is all that's needed and you can do away with all the sub forums and modding. Not sure whether IP Board permits it, but other software lets you flag a particular reply as containing an answer to the question (a bit like on Experts Exchange) and those posts can be given more prominent placings in search results.

Is this reply on or off topic? And if I post a reply on the subject of things that are off topic, and therefore stay on topic, does that count as changing the subject of the post and going off topic, or does it count as staying on topic? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also I dunno about other forum users but I have no clue what sub forum topics are posted in. I access this forum via 'view new posts' and just reply to posts as I see them.

I don't even know which forum this post is in... and don't care really. It's the same as my email; I don't have a million and one folders to sort out my messages, I just remember that I had an email about something, search for it and pow - it's there. I genuinely think that a good search engine on the forum is all that's needed and you can do away with all the sub forums and modding. Not sure whether IP Board permits it, but other software lets you flag a particular reply as containing an answer to the question (a bit like on Experts Exchange) and those posts can be given more prominent placings in search results.

Is this reply on or off topic? And if I post a reply on the subject of things that are off topic, and therefore stay on topic, does that count as changing the subject of the post and going off topic, or does it count as staying on topic? :)

But mit, if a tree fell in a forest would you hear it? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also I dunno about other forum users but I have no clue what sub forum topics are posted in. I access this forum via 'view new posts' and just reply to posts as I see them.

I don't even know which forum this post is in... and don't care really. It's the same as my email; I don't have a million and one folders to sort out my messages, I just remember that I had an email about something, search for it and pow - it's there. I genuinely think that a good search engine on the forum is all that's needed and you can do away with all the sub forums and modding. Not sure whether IP Board permits it, but other software lets you flag a particular reply as containing an answer to the question (a bit like on Experts Exchange) and those posts can be given more prominent placings in search results.

Is this reply on or off topic? And if I post a reply on the subject of things that are off topic, and therefore stay on topic, does that count as changing the subject of the post and going off topic, or does it count as staying on topic? :)

Its not actually hard to see where they are.

post-1-0-04815700-1320831663_thumb.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If in a Topic you want to randomly talk about something else that may have cropped up in another thread, talk about it here. It doesn't matter what you want to talk about. Hopefully this will help keep topics tidy.

Good idea Bunny :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't say it was hard to see where they are. I said I don't care where they are because I don't browse through the forums to get to them. If I had to browse through to get to them, I wouldn't bother, and I suspect neither would most other people.

And since my primary method of viewing unread posts is via a search query, the sub forum that the post is in is irrelevant. And in any case, the banter for the most part does tend to stick to the original topic or at least go off on some tangent based on the original topic. It's quite rare that someone makes a post about ipod adapters and ends up talking about construction workers on strike.

Edited by mit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same on Stanceworks (which you lot obviously like stalking me on) in Random Thread.

:rolleyes:

I've not seen anyone make any reference to you there. How are people stalking you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is this thread different from the post something trivial thread, by the way? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't say it was hard to see where they are. I said I don't care where they are because I don't browse through the forums to get to them. If I had to browse through to get to them, I wouldn't bother, and I suspect neither would most other people.

And since my primary method of viewing unread posts is via a search query, the sub forum that the post is in is irrelevant. And in any case, the banter for the most part does tend to stick to the original topic or at least go off on some tangent based on the original topic. It's quite rare that someone makes a post about ipod adapters and ends up talking about construction workers on strike.

I'm saying its not hard to take a quick glance to the right and mentally note what kind of forum its in. I'm also not saying you are the one going off topic.

Its more for the "What kind of bulbs do I need?" turning into a insult other members topic, which does happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can i just ask the Mods to clean up this thread if it gets heated ( abusive arguments) instead of locking or closing it, thanks :) that way it keeps it going.

I will do :) To be honest, it seems odd people are bitching in here. Not only is there 3 other threads of people bitching, there's a 'site suggestion' section people can use :)

Wow, I wish it wasn't only Wednesday. I need a day off! No holiday left this year until Jan so I need to make do with weekends :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(@ Sam)

Yeah, agreed... I know you weren't accusing me personally, I try not to and try to keep things polite and on topic generally, but since I did a philosophy degree I have a habit of arguing the other side of any story regardless of which side I personally agree with!

For the record, I agree with you on this :)

Edited by mit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is this thread different from the post something trivial thread, by the way? :D

Because that is just posting something random about your life :)

This is a place that can carry on a conversation before another thread goes "off topic" posting something trivial isn't exactly a place to do that :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, I wish it wasn't only Wednesday. I need a day off! No holiday left this year until Jan so I need to make do with weekends :(

How does Christmas fall this year gaz? Was it last year that if you took 2 or 3 strategically placed days off you ended up with nearly 3 weeks off because of bank holidays?

Edited by suhail97
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You and Sam have both referenced posts I've made there in there Gaz.... :lol:

Didn't we both reference the same post? The one where you were bitching about how bad E46zone is, yet you still come and post.

I think mentioning one post a couple of months ago is a long way off being considered stalking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How does Christmas fall this year gaz? Was it last year that if you took 2 or 3 strategically placed days off you ended up with nearly 3 weeks off because of bank holidays?

Yes that was last year :( Wish it was this year!

I think I'll only get a week this year :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will do :) To be honest, it seems odd people are bitching in here. Not only is there 3 other threads of people bitching, there's a 'site suggestion' section people can use :)

Wow, I wish it wasn't only Wednesday. I need a day off! No holiday left this year until Jan so I need to make do with weekends :(

Not good dude :( i have quite alot of time off comming up ( not to rub it in) but dont have much to do lol people being at work etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny how whenever I mention E46zone on there someone reads it, yet I have nearly as many posts as I have on here so there are a few to go through.... ah well... I couldn't care.

I have a month off, 16th til 16th. I like being a student.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.





×
×
  • Create New...