feva

M Tec Gear Knob Recovering

done mine a while back with one of those diy leather kits from ebay, while i was at it i made a new badge and domed it, and turned the knob into an illuminated ///M one, and while it was out i drilled it out further so it sits about an inch lower too and the metal shaft. very pleased with end result for a total of £6, obviously not as good as the real deal, but im not paying £70 odd for a gearknob lol

Edited by bmw325coupe

Sounds nice bmw325coupe, cos01 found the best way to get it on was to cover your knob with a light coating of washing up liquid and soak your new skin in boiling water for 10 mins then start it off then grab hold of it using a tea towel and pull the skin down the knob.

A bit off the top but beware it was a bugger to tuck in at the top wish I'd left a bit more on, and hardly any off the bottom as it was pulled almost right up.

Post picture when done mate want to see if it's just mine where the stitching was too far apart. B-)

Come in cos01! How's your knob coming on?

I left feedback on ebay about cover, shop have been in touch asking about how I got it to fit. Explained it all to them they've asked me to send old cover and they on about starting to make covers for m sport short gear knob.

I'll post when hear anything.

Come in cos01! How's your knob coming on?

I left feedback on ebay about cover, shop have been in touch asking about how I got it to fit. Explained it all to them they've asked me to send old cover and they on about starting to make covers for m sport short gear knob.

I'll post when hear anything.

mine went T***S up lol i just realised i dont have the same gear knob as u lol, so ordered another one which needs covering so ordered another cover to try again

Thought you were quite. No worries was just wondering how you got on. Take it i won the smoothest knob competition then? :-)

Going to get free m sport cover off shop when they use my old one as template I'll post pictures if I do

No mate was for longer standard gear knob must be wider as well because stitching too far apart. Was a fair bit extra at the top when pulled right up.

But looks very good when done would never know its the wrong type, wait and see if company make m sport ones think I'll change it if they do just because I know stitching not in right place other than I'd leave it.

Well I've looked in the bin for my old cover (nearly throwing up several times) but couldn't find it must of been in the bin before it was emptied, so any one out there got an old m tec leather cover off gear knob company I'm in touch with is looking to start making them but need an old one to work off, once sorted they will start selling them on ebay for approx £6 so if anyone has an old one any chance you could post to me so I can pass it on?

Cheers

Edited by feva

I ordered a brand new knob today for my 6 speed msport. Can send them my old knob or covering once I've swapped them over. Let me know where to post it to mate.

thanks very much, any chance you PM me as only been on a while and can't message you then I can give you my address.

Once again thanks and hopefully in future people with m tec gear may be able to get cover.

LOL I can't PM either mate - you should be able to though I think with 43 posts...

yea just done it now, like you I've not been on site long but it's great only problem it's taking over im constantly on here seeing what's doing.

Sorry for digging up old thread,but i cant pm anyone,I have just bought the leather replacement off ebay as wanting to retrim the original e36 m knob in my e36 as want to keep the e46 one .Can anybody give me advice/guide how to remove the old leather and put the new leather on?? It is the standard size know with no metal bottom.

Thanks

Cut the leather on the knob up the stitching, remove and clean the knob thoroughly.

Apply lots of fairy liquid to knob to lube up then pull new leather over knob, don't worry it will stretch.

Once happy with fit. Trim excess away refit knob emblem, job done

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Great thanks how/where do you put the excess from the bottom and top of the knob tuck it inside or cut it then tuck inside will it stay there? Do you just reglue the emblem back on as well?

Thanks

Cut the leather on the knob up the stitching, remove and clean the knob thoroughly.

Apply lots of fairy liquid to knob to lube up then pull new leather over knob, don't worry it will stretch.

Great thanks how/where do you put the excess from the bottom and top of the knob tuck it inside or cut it then tuck inside will it stay there? Do you just reglue the emblem back on as well?

Thanks

When I done mine (m Tec gear knob) I put some of the excess in the bottom but also trimmed off a slight bit at the top.

But be careful not to trim too much off the top.

I just super glued my emblem back on.

As for fitted exactly what Chimp said but I also soaked my replacement cover in hot water for 5mins to supple it up.

No longer

Living the dream

Great thread, just about to order some bit's to have a go at mine - thanks for the tips

Got mine off eBay but think I've mentioned not a perfect fit but very good, contacted the seller and they made me one specifically for a mtec.

See if I can find eBay link (seller)

Edit: it's the seller off cos01 post first page he's called Greg drop him a message asking for a mtec fitting one, worth a try, they are a perfect fit where as the other one you'll have to trim some off and the stitching lines don't line up (but not too bad)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by feva

Feva so this ebay seller will make one to fit the M version with just the 2 stitched area at the front?

I ordered the one from the link, but as I said doesn't fit perfectly (see if I can find pictures showing) I'd put Positive feedback saying I'd got it to fit then he contacted me, long story short he made me a cover to fit a mtec know, I told him I thought they'd sell but he wasn't sure as he struggled to remove silver collar (5mins in boiled water takes care of it) but it's worth a shot asking if he'd make you one, mention the above story he might remember.

Edit: page 3 of this topic shows the position of the stitched line in relation to the grooves, as I said you'd never know if you didn't know what you were looking for.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by feva